Can a whole blank be made from sodacans?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

navycop

I know when you segment the aluminum is glued to the wood. But can you just glue a bunch of thin pieces of aluminum together? I guess you have to get it round some way to fit on the tubes. Just asking. I know someone has probally tried it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

I dont see why that wouldn't be possible, but wouldn't it be easier to get some aluminum rod and make a pen that way? This one is aircraft aluminum rod used in making parts for the F-22. Just my thought.

navycop

Use an epoxy to bond the layers. CA is probably gonna be bad to try to glue the stack together with.
I rethunk this. I guess once you have them glued and on the tube, it is just like any other blank? At first I couldn't visualize them glued together like dominos (had that's another idea)....And trying to take the sharp edges off.

IPD_Mrs

You won't want to use CA as the aluminum will get hot turning it and the CA will fail. You will also need to rough the glued surfaces of the aluminum that gets glued to another.

Drstrangefart

Use an epoxy to bond the layers. CA is probably gonna be bad to try to glue the stack together with.
I rethunk this. I guess once you have them glued and on the tube, it is just like any other blank? At first I couldn't visualize them glued together like dominos (had that's another idea)....And trying to take the sharp edges off.

You SHOULD be able to turn it like regular wood, but you'll need to be on top of tool sharpening. A LOT. And sand thoroughly before you put the finishing coats of CA on. Treat it like extremely questionable acrylic to prevent heat buildup and frying your tools. Extremely delicate touch. If you have some high quality tools, it should be less of a worry.

workinforwood

If you cut and stack glue that "aluminum" from the cans..you have way too much free time on your hands!!! That's going to require some significant work and I think the end result is going to likely end up not as desirable as you might want it to be. You will never be able to get all your thin slices to remain flat and even, that's for sure. I'm not saying you can't make a pen from gluing a hundred slices together, I'm just saying the end is not likely to justify the means.

Drstrangefart

If you cut and stack glue that "aluminum" from the cans..you have way too much free time on your hands!!! That's going to require some significant work and I think the end result is going to likely end up not as desirable as you might want it to be. You will never be able to get all your thin slices to remain flat and even, that's for sure. I'm not saying you can't make a pen from gluing a hundred slices together, I'm just saying the end is not likely to justify the means.

I will agree, and add nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'd try it if I was so posessed. I already did it with strips of blue jeans. It can be done!

Mac

The sky is the limit. good luck. Some color will show if you do not sand it off the cans. I mount in chuck on lathe to sand off color if so desired. Use press or clamps to glue.. I find when I clamp something it either flatens out or breaks.

JerrySambrook

If you roll each of the sections, you can make the pen "fit together" before gluing. then it will lay flat.
You can do this in a set of rollers, gradually decreasing the turning radius, or bewteen dowels by hand, or by starting it around a small dowel, and wrapping it around the small dowel. retightening it every so often.

Last edited:
Top Bottom