Calipers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now I usually do not do this but just wanted to mention if you are actually looking for a good quality caliper here is one I just bought not long ago. I needed a new one because the one I had the battery compartment was deteriating and the batteries just did not last long and it lost accuracy almost every time I used it. So much so I could not trust it any more. It did serve me well for some time. Now looking for a good quality one could be daunting and going with big names is a crap shoot as well. So I looked at what Amazon had to offer and found one that was stainless and looked very well built. Came with a case and all. I bought it and have used it quite alot this past month. I was impressed. very accurate and well built. I just bought a second one last night and it was delivered today. Same good quality. It is on sale and for $16 well worth the money. You may want to take a look. Now these all come from China and many are look a likes so is one better than another, I do not believe so. This one is on sale and that is why I am promoting it.

https://www.amazon.com/Measuring-Stainless-Micrometer-Fraction-Household/dp/B08Y8M54M9/ref=sr_1_4?adgrpid=1337006711934054&hvadid=83563158912059&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=96777&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-83563283116592:loc-190&hydadcr=12933_13397871&keywords=calipers+for+measuring&qid=1704835236&s=hi&sr=1-4&th=1

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

My first digital one looked like that and it had issues. Ate batteries and had a defective battery compartment. I now have the igauging, and love it. I have bought several of their tools and they have all been good purchases.

Woodchipper

My first digital one looked like that and it had issues. Ate batteries and had a defective battery compartment. I now have the igauging, and love it. I have bought several of their tools and they have all been good purchases.
Link? New one for me. Interesting.

jttheclockman

There is a few of them that look exactly alike and probably are with a different name. They are all China made. if it holds up like my old one I will be happy to buy one ever couple years. Just can not justify spending alot of money on something that sits a long time. i do not make pens alot. i go through phases and soon I will be shutting pen making down and get into some box making.

NeonWoodShop

I just started using calipers for turning pens, and what a difference. I have a plastic/composite Mitutoyo digital caliper (not sure if real or fake) that was included with something else I purchased last year, and it works well. Less concern about nicking the blank for me.

I like the style with a fraction setting especially for some wood projects and bolts.

My main digital calipers are from Calculated Industries. They work well and have lasted for a few years now. The only issue was when I left them outside and they were rained on (yeah I was ticked for making that forgetful DA move). A couple weeks in a bag of rice and some hair dryer action and they work fine (fortunately).

egnald

Interesting. I've never seen any Mitutoyo calipers in that price range. The one's I am familiar with are more in the $200 to $300 range. At the company I worked for, we used lots of Mitutoyo measurement systems, optical and visual measuring systems, coordinate measuring machines, and sensor systems along with connected and stand alone measurement tools. Their products were sound. That being said though, I don't know about their products in the sub hundred dollar range.

Dave

PS The company started out in the Micrometer business in 1934 and there has been an American presence since the 1960's. I think they are based in the Chicago area. They are ISO 17025 certified. It's kind of like ISO 9000 but more specific to testing and calibration equipment. (We required all of our instrumentation suppliers to be ISO certified).

duncsuss

I feel the same way about calipers as many woodworkers feel about clamps - you can never have too many. I've got enough that pretty much every surface I work has calipers (in my shop and my office where I do pen repairs and tuning). It means things fit correctly because I measure often, and I don't lose time looking around for them.

SteveG

Followup, about one month later: the calipers John recommended are really nice. After getting one, I ordered a second. So here is a suggestion. Notice the arrow pointing at a very small screw on the backside of the caliper. I had that tiny screw come loose and fall right where I could easily notice it and reinstall. In most cases, that screw would be lost forever. I was fortunate. So if you have these calipers, tighten up that screw, perhaps with a bit of thread lock. The caliper would not be nearly as nice if that petite screw had jumped off and began hiding under your workbench!

IMG_2531.JPG

IMG_2532.JPG

jttheclockman

Steve, I bought a second one myself and have been using them on all the pens I have shown here lately including the ones in the contests. I really like this one because of the clear window and ease of slide. The on off buttons are nice snap buttons. I checked mine being you said that and both are tight. I may do as you suggest with the thread locker. Thanks. For the price I am impressed.

Top Bottom