Calif. Deer Antler Q.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

any deer antler in California is illegal to turn into a pen. A young gent gave a consignee a ration about some deer in California being illegal to use as artwork?? Is this something I need to be aware of?? What do you know?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have been told by a game warden that the law reads that you can not sell wild game or "any" part of it on the retail market. I was also told that this law is in 35 states. Anyone else heard this?

plantman

Hi John::):) I suggest you look up the following site. ( http:United States-Relevant Animal Parts Laws ) this site will give you the laws state by state. Also check with your states fish and game Dept. I checked Calif. laws and it seens you can do anything you want with the head and antlers as long as you can prove you obtained it with the proper licence and the head is not connected to the body. This is my translation of the law, not gospel. In WI. I have picked up deer with large racks along the road by calling the local game warden, telling him where the animal is located, and he will issue a permit for it. By all means check your state and county laws as they often change without notice!!!! Hope this helps. Jim S

gimpy

In PA. it is illegal to buy, trade sell or bardor any part of whitetail deer.

I called the PA Game Commision, and that is the answer I got.

Also, when I purchase antlers from the website, I must keep a record of that in my money box at the craft shows I attend

CYA

Rick P

John the laws very wildly from place to place. In most states using antler you got while hunting is illegal, buying antler from an animal thats been harvested under a hunting licence is illegal. Roe and Axis deer are FARMED as are whitetails in many areas. I dont know of an state that bans the use of farmed antler, nor nonindigenous antler legally purchased else where.

Where you get into trouble is antler thats been harvested by a hunter, this is a huge no no as most game animals have been "hunted" at one time or another just for a rack. Obviously this isn't hunting......it's the wanton waste of a life for profit or a ego boost! NO ONE that values a subsistence hunting lifestyle wants to see the return of Franz Ferdinand style trophy hunting!

Jgrden

Rick P. This makes sense. I like this philosophy and can defend it against any of these left wing, tree hugging, liberals around here. My antlers are from Spring sheds in the fields. The logic behind your comments. Thank you.

Rick P

That's the only antler I sell or work with John......sheds. No one can give ya political crap about antler the critter threw away!

Rfturner

1. Check with local warden
2. I am pretty sure this is completely false About the antler. I live in California. I went hunting this past year for deer up near huntington lake. While there are laws about transporting and transferring the animal or parts. The second half of the deer tag has a spot to transfer the antler/body part to someone other than the hunter. I was under the impression that once trasfered you could legally cut it up or do just about whatever you wanted to it. If you came into possession of the antler legally whether you harvested the animal or transferred the rights to that part you also have the right use it how you wish.

penmaker1967

john all the antler i use in pens are sheds that arew given to me i was told that in nc u can sell crafts made out of antler but u can not sell the racks.

penmaker1967

lot of good points about deer antler here i checked with nc law several years ago and was told that u can make crafts out of antler just can not sell the racks.

SloLouie

I've been considering trying to sell antler pens as well. I called the district office and was referred to to this code:
California Fish and Game Code Section 3039

Legal Research Home > California Laws > Fish and Game Code > California Fish and Game Code Section 3039

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section and Sections
3087 and 4303, or any other provision of this code, or regulations
adopted pursuant thereto, it is unlawful to sell or purchase any
species of bird or mammal or part thereof found in the wild in
California.
(b) Products or handicraft items made from furbearing mammals and
nongame mammals, their carcass or parts thereof, lawfully taken under
the authority of a trapping license, may be purchased or sold at any
time.
(c) Shed antlers, or antlers taken from domestically reared
animals that have been manufactured into products or handicraft
items, or that have been cut into blocks or units which are to be
handcrafted or manufactured into those articles may be purchased or
sold at any time. However, complete antlers, whole heads with
antlers, antlers that are mounted for display, or antlers in velvet
may not be sold or purchased at any time, except as authorized by
Section 3087.
(d) Notwithstanding Section 3504, inedible parts of domestically
raised game birds may be sold or purchased at any time.
(e) Any person who illegally takes any bird or mammal for profit
or for personal gain by engaging in any activity authorized by this
section is subject to civil liability pursuant to Section 2582.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Rob

Top Bottom