Caduceus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's a Caduceus, the traditional symbol of Hermes that features two serpents around a winged staff. The symbol became associated with the field of medicine during the Renaissance where it was associated with alchemy and wisdom. It became popular in the United States as a symbol of Medicine after the U.S. Army adopted it for the Medical Officers Uniform in the early 1900's. Anyhow, enough of history.
The inlay was a little more difficult to make as I cracked the head of the staff and couldn't get the last two inlays into the area between the serpents bodies and the staff.:redface: I filled the latter area with blue and black dust. Nevertheless, it was fun to make. Made it as a gift for a friend of mine. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Caduceus.jpg
    Caduceus.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 347
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I made one of these for my ortho doc about three months ago. Like you said, the really small inlays are a bear to get in. I too filled with dust/trimmings.

Great job Doc.

David Keller

I was wondering if you were going to make one of these. I did several for our local county medical society last year and that led to a couple of commission pens. Beautiful work as always.

wiset1

Very striking looking pen with the contrast and the concept. I really like the inlay pens for that little extra POP! Nice work on the finish as well

Top Bottom