Cactus Master

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mrs

IPD_Mrs

A while back we asked Curtis to pour some of his cactus in black. Here is the results. Still debating on switching this to a FP. Comments and criticisms as always are appreciated and welcome.

cactus2.jpg

cactus1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

el_d

That came out very nice. Love the look of the black cactus. Have you tried a clear cactus reverse painted black?

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
That looks great! What type of finish did you use?

I always advise everyone to put a CA finish on all "Original Cactus Blank"™ pens. The main reason is because the cactus skeleton is exposed on the surface and in my opinion, really needs to be sealed. I worked on a pen for a fellow who uses his cactus pen everyday. The pen was not made by me and it did not have a CA finish on it. The skeleton had picked up some of the grime from use and was not nearly as bright as it could have been. I have the oldest cactus pen (obviously!) and it has a CA finish on it and looks just as good as the day I made it.

wizard

Mike and Linda, Beautiful pen! I love Curtis's blanks. I wonder if it would be easier to do a black cactus blank rather than reverse painting a clear cactus blank ? I've been a little afraid to try the latter. I'm glad Curtis is making the blanks in black resin now. Thank you for sharing. Regards, Doc

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Mike and Linda, Beautiful pen! I love Curtis's blanks. I wonder if it would be easier to do a black cactus blank rather than reverse painting a clear cactus blank ? I've been a little afraid to try the latter. I'm glad Curtis is making the blanks in black resin now. Thank you for sharing. Regards, Doc

Doc,

Blank blanks will give you a completely different look than clear reverse painted black. With the black, you don't get the 3-d that you do with clear/painted but it is easier.

THarvey

Great looking pen!!! I would definately change that to a fountain pen. That is a stunning, classic looking pen.

I love turning Curtis' blanks. I hope this means Curtis will be adding black to his cactus line. :biggrin:

Top Bottom