CA tips ... tippettes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

You're using something called 'tippettes' and using CA with a pink label and cap. That's just not right.

rjwolfe3

I need to use some of your CA. My medium always clogs at the tip and then over time turns into thick and then a hard blob and that is with the cap on. I normally lose about 1/3 of each medium bottle. I guess I need to use it up quicker lol.

BTW I am using Monty's glue if that matters.

I never put any caps/tips on CA bottles anymore..
They don't clog now, and they don't stick

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I need to use some of your CA. My medium always clogs at the tip and then over time turns into thick and then a hard blob and that is with the cap on. I normally lose about 1/3 of each medium bottle. I guess I need to use it up quicker lol.

Then you are touching the tip to something and causing the CA to set. I have found that as I'm applying the CA, if I'm careful and don't touch the tip to the blank or towel and contaminate it with something like dust or moisture, the tip will stay clean.

rjwolfe3

Monty, I didn't mean to imply that your glue was bad or anything. On the contrary I love your glue, it's the only glue I buy. I was just relating what happens when I leave the cap off. Keep in mind it takes me over a year to go through a bottle of medium so I think that is why the glue thickens/hardens over time.:)

Then you are touching the tip to something and causing the CA to set. I have found that as I'm applying the CA, if I'm careful and don't touch the tip to the blank or towel and contaminate it with something like dust or moisture, the tip will stay clean.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Monty, I didn't mean to imply that your glue was bad or anything. On the contrary I love your glue, it's the only glue I buy. I was just relating what happens when I leave the cap off. Keep in mind it takes me over a year to go through a bottle of medium so I think that is why the glue thickens/hardens over time.:)

Didn't take it that way. I was pointing out what can cause the tip to get clogged.

Padre

You're using something called 'tippettes' and using CA with a pink label and cap. That's just not right.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Now that's funny! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Padre

Keep in mind it takes me over a year to go through a bottle of medium so I think that is why the glue thickens/hardens over time.:)

I think the glue would just go bad in that time, cap or no cap. But leaving
the cap off doesn't make it go bad sooner.. and all of my caps were getting
stuck on the bottles so I'd have to use pliers to get them off.
Now I'm more careful, and as Monty mentioned, I don't touch the tips to
anything. Open bottles.. good for months and months and no clogs.

Do you keep the glue in the fridge???

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I think the glue gets "thicker" if the humidity is high.

I also don't cap it, and store it in my basement shop. Summertime it seems my medium turns to thick by the end of the summer!!

Also found out you can add thin to thick (that is a little too thick) and it turns thinner--let sit for a day or so to mix--no stirring required--but it helps speed the process.

Woodlvr

[Then you are touching the tip to something and causing the CA to set. I have found that as I'm applying the CA, if I'm careful and don't touch the tip to the blank or towel and contaminate it with something like dust or moisture, the tip will stay clean.]

Thanks Monty- That is what must be happening to my glue. I do not use it very fast but I am not very careful when I use it, now I know better.

PenMan1

I think the glue gets "thicker" if the humidity is high.

I also don't cap it, and store it in my basement shop. Summertime it seems my medium turns to thick by the end of the summer!!

Also found out you can add thin to thick (that is a little too thick) and it turns thinner--let sit for a day or so to mix--no stirring required--but it helps speed the process.

Living in an area where summer conditions are typicall 100 degrees and 85 to 99% humidity ( unless it's raining, then it is more humid), I can tell you for a fact that temp and humidity WILL significantly increase the viscosity of CA.

I buy CA, usually a pint or quart at the time, and a bunch of little 2 oz bottles. When the CA arrives, I immediately transfer the big bottles into the little bottles, leaving no room for air and then seal each bottle with an "uncut nozzle". I put all but one of the 2 oz bottles in the shop refrigerator. When the bottle left out of the refrigerator is only 1/4 full, I pull another small bottle out of the fridge to warm up for a few hours.

That is the only way I can keep fresh CA here.

ctubbs

Thanks for the lesson on CA. I always let the tip touch what it is being aplied to and then have to throw away half full bottles that are hard.

Top Bottom