CA questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

triw51

1st Why does CA glue make saw dust smoke but not a piece of the same wood? I was using some fine sanding dust and super thin CA glue to fill a small void in a blank I was turning. The dust started smoking like crazy and turned black (it looked like a small knot when I finished). So I played around and the finer the dust the more it smoked. Can anyone explain what is happening?

2nd Does anyone make a black CA glue?

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Smaller particles = much larger surface area to mass ratio. The larger piece has enough mass to dissipate enough of the heat (given off by the CA as it cures) to prevent combustion. The smaller particles are completely engulfed by CA and attacked on all sides (as opposed to only one side of a larger piece), thus giving the CA a much larger area per unit of mass on which to generate heat. With nothing else surrounding the small particle to absorb some of the heat, it starts to smoke and/or burn.

Justturnin

For the smoking my guess is too much CA at one time. I have glued items together and had a pool of CA in a corner and it smoked. Just gets real hot and I guess the dry dust was a little fuel to really get it going.

#1 on Monty for Black CA and your clear.

PTsideshow

As been said, it is the same effect on the cotton balls/wool yarn(not tight twisted yarn) and not so much on cotton fabrics like denim. surface area, surface area same thing that cause the dust explosions, in flour mills, coal fired pulverized generating plants and refinishing shops surface area of the dust.
:clown:

Top Bottom