CA Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

I haven't done a CA finish so naturally, as usual, I have a couple of questions.

1. If you get it on the bushings (don't see much way around it) could you drop them in some acetone to remove all of it?
2. How do you get the bushings off the blank without chipping the finish on the blank? Could you part it with a razor blade?

Thanks........Craig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Simsonicole

Depending on your hand skills, I use my skew to turn it off. If it is white, then it is the CA coming off. Becomes thin enough that you can just wipe it on a piece of micromesh and it peels away.

wyone

The non stick bushings are a great help, especially in the learning process. I know I used to have a lot of chipping etc until I started using them. I now use them about half the time, but that is after I have applied a lot and learned by my mistakes what NOT to do. I also sand the ends after to get a smooth fit with the pen kit. I find that works best for me. You sort of have to figure out what works best for you with the tools you have. Good luck!

Souths1der

Do the finishing between centers. I started out between bushings, quickly tired of the issue you detail. I switched to using the delrin bushings and that was great. Then, once I started getting better at turning between centers it's even easier.

I turn close to the bushings between centers, then remove the bushings from the equation and use my digital calipers to get the desired diameter. After that I apply the finish. When I remove the blank, if I see that I got some of the finish on the centers, a quick wipe with some acetone and they're ready for the next pen.

JimB

I use bushing to turn but remove them for finishing and just finish between centers. A little acetone will remove any CA from the dead and live centers.

But to answer your question, yes, you can soak the bushings in acetone to remove the CA. When I used bushing during finishing I would keep a small jar of acetone and when needed just drop them into the jar. How long it would take would depend on how much CA you have on them but in general for me it only took a few minutes.

Joey-Nieves

For 7 mm pens I use 3 short pieces of brass tube. When they get full of glue I just use an old paring tool and scrape them. For bigger pens I have 2 different ways I make the conical delryn bushings, as suggested above, but with a lower angle than the ones for sale or between centers. Since I do most pens between centers and I remove the bushings for the final fitting and sanding I apply the CA and set it aside for later polishing.
I also have a small board about 12 by 6 with 20 pieces of hanger wire sticking up about 3" apart so I can place may pens while working. Since I make about 10 slimlines at a time, it helps me keep every thing paired, also helpful when assembling
Joey

wouldentu2?

A disposable razor blade with the edge pressing near the edge of the bushing and rotate the lathe by hand. Blank and bushing will separate easily and then you rub the blank on some sandpaper lightly until any CA is gone.

TwinkE

I did have the misfortune recently to get somehow get CA inside the tube while the bushing was on. I carefully dropped some acetone in the tube and worked the bushing loose.

efrulla

Another trip to the barrel trimmers

I use derlin bushings and find that I get ca on the edge of the blank when I remove the bushings. Another light trip through the barrel trimmer and everything is clean and square again.

csr67

I use derlin bushings and find that I get ca on the edge of the blank when I remove the bushings. Another light trip through the barrel trimmer and everything is clean and square again.

Same here, I use the Derlin CA bushings and sometimes it takes a quick snap to break the blank free from the bushings, but a little wiggle does it nicely. I then chuck up my Rick Harrell sanding jig/disk with some 220gr and a quick touch removes the excess CA and does a final squaring.

Another newbie tip I quickly learned... Dip the ends of the blank in a towel moistened with thin CA to seal them before you CA and wet sand the blank. Otherwise, you'll get nasty white spots all under your finish from the moisture intrusion.:mad:

79spitfire

I made my own tapered bushings with delrin rod purchased from Amazon. For the cost of the rod you can make scads of them in custom configurations, and still save a few $$ over the pre-made ones.

Top Bottom