CA over Sharpie colors....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gothycdesigns

I tried an experiment to use sharpie pens to dye a project. a Friend at work likes the Oregon Ducks and so was going to do a green/yellow pen. I got the blank colored and when I started using the CA over the yellow, the yellow turned bright red. Now looks like a xmas pen....lol. So....I was curious before doing other sharpie colors has anyone else seen what other colors do or become when the CA hits it?

The green seemed to be ok, just a little darker. I think red turned more orange. But have not tried any other colors yet. Any thought, tips or tricks, would be helpful or if there is a article in the library I should see.

ThX,
Ray

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C. Scott

Ray,

It's been my experience that permanent markers and CA don't mix. In every instance the color changed to purple or a shade of red. Purple marker stayed purple, but it did go darker. One way of "dyeing" wood that has worked quite well for me is using water based poster paint. The official classification escapes me, but it just the cheap water based paint for crafts.

You can mix the colors to get what you want. I dyed, painted, some curly maple with a green paint right on the lathe with a paper towel and just treated like a friction finish except I didn't let it get hot, just warm. I then sealed with thin CA and build up with thick and finished. The pen looked really good and as far as I know hasn't faded.

Try it, it is definitely a "cheap" finish.

KenV

Acryic inks seem to hold colors pretty well.

Sanding sealer, ink, seal the ink then final finish

Try to seal the marker before putting the CA finish over the top. Shellac is the classic sealer for wood.

Marc Phillips

I've had no problems at all using sharpies to color the wood with a CA overcoat... Works fine.

So far it seems to work best on Maple...

Attachments

• RedCigar.JPG
    RedCigar.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 175
  • purpleclickpen.JPG
    purpleclickpen.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 170

leehljp

Member Liaison
Two ways of applying colors:

1. One pure overcoat so that the wood grain itself is not showing through. This is where CA will melt the colors.

As Ken said, seal them with a spray seal coat. That is a necessity.

2. Dying the wood to colors as Marc did. If your intent is to dye the wood but let the woodgrain show through, then use the markers to color the wood but wipe off excess color/build up. Let it dry totally then CA it. If it still smears, seal it with some kind of spray seal coat before CA.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I find black Sharpies go purple almost as soon as the CA hits. They go even
more purple when the resin hit it.

gothycdesigns

Thanks everyone. I'll keep it in mind and will try some methods.

Marc ~ those pens look really good for a sharpie finish. Great work.

C. Scott ~ I think you might be thinking of the general acrylic paints. I have a bunch of those my wife uses. I'll have to try those aswell.

And would using the HUT waxes, think that could work or create a harsh barrier the CA won't penetrate? Just thought came to me.
I have some matte finish spray I can experiment with too.

Thanks all.

Top Bottom