CA on acrylic / alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ramaroodle

Do most people use a CA finish when using an acrylic / cast / alumilite blank? I have started making hybrid cast pens and assume that CA is ok since it is also going on the part of the blank that is wood. I have been using CA on my acrylic blanks but the thought occurred to me that maybe I shouldn't be.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pierre---

Acrylic and alumilite can be sanded and polished to a high sheen, I don't see any reason to use CA.
Hybrids are another story of course, as you say, because of the wood.

greenacres2

I don't normally put any finish on acrylic or Alumilite, but Tim McKenzie suggested CA on his Diamond Cast blanks a while back to help show the sparkle--and I found him to be right. Just a few coats of Mercury Flex thin and a final polish really added some "pop" to those. Lately i've been selectively doing the same to other acrylic and Alumilite when I think the blank has more to give than just a polish--in some cases it made no difference and in some it was very beneficial. Hasn't hurt any, but it would be easy enough to turn off if it ever was detrimental.
Good luck!!
Earl

ramaroodle

Just not sure how NOT to put CA on a hybrid blank because of the wood, therefore it seems to make sense to put it on the whole blank. Can it hurt, or is there a downside to it? Seems like you'd almost have to CA the entire blank just for continuity.

TonyL

I use CA on hybrid blanks - the entire blank. I am sure there are other approaches to this, but I am happy with the results.

magpens

Yes, on a hybrid blank, CA the whole blank as Tony said.

But on an acrylic blank or on a blank which is totally Alumilite you don't need CA and should not apply it.

Kenny Durrant

IMO when you say hybrid blanks that means all materials cast in resin. That means materials other than wood such as bone to name one. I put a few coats of CA on the blank just to make sure everything is sealed for protection as well as shine. As mentioned earlier sometimes I will put CA on an acrylic blank if I think it might help with the final finish but not very often.

lhowell

I will put on a CA finish over Alumilite just because I don't like the "matte" sheen from polishing but PR and Epoxy resins I just buff out to a high gloss.

Top Bottom