CA Glue Times

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sataro

I've just drilled and glued a large quantity of pens this afternoon. I'm using thick CA glue to glue my tubes in place. I'm wondering about drying/curing times. Normally I may wait overnight before working on the pen. But our temperatures in central Texas are supposed to be in the 30's all day tomorrow & even be worse by Monday. So I"m curious about how much time would be safe to give the CA to cure before starting to work on these pens. Any help/comments appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I've just drilled and glued a large quantity of pens this afternoon. I'm using thick CA glue to glue my tubes in place. I'm wondering about drying/curing times. Normally I may wait overnight before working on the pen. But our temperatures in central Texas are supposed to be in the 30's all day tomorrow & even be worse by Monday. So I"m curious about how much time would be safe to give the CA to cure before starting to work on these pens. Any help/comments appreciated.

I normally use epoxy now but still ca occasionally. I used to use ca for everything. Normally waited overnight but sometimes a little later same day.

If I had to bet money, I'd guess that if you zapped them with accelerator, you could turn almost right away and get away with it. Wouldn't kill you to try. Even if one would break loose, you can re-glue it.

If I was doing ca without accelerator, I'd want to wait at least a couple hours, but you'll only know what you can get away with if you try.

Do you have accelerator?

Sataro

Thanks for the reply Dan! Yes I have accelerator. I zapped a few of them. I plan on waiting over night before I start to turn any. I just wasn't sure how the cold temps would affect drying/curing time.

Cut/drilled/glued 40 bolt action pens this afternoon. Will probably start on these in the morning.

Ross

My shop is in the basement in an unheated side. It tends to be cool but not cold. I have used CA to glue in pen tubes and turned them right after glueing. You might try taking them in the warm house and let them cure for a couple of hours just to be safe.

Dan Masshardt

Thanks for the reply Dan! Yes I have accelerator. I zapped a few of them. I plan on waiting over night before I start to turn any. I just wasn't sure how the cold temps would affect drying/curing time. Cut/drilled/glued 40 bolt action pens this afternoon. Will probably start on these in the morning.

40?

Is that an order or just to stock?

Sataro

Thanks for the reply Dan! Yes I have accelerator. I zapped a few of them. I plan on waiting over night before I start to turn any. I just wasn't sure how the cold temps would affect drying/curing time. Cut/drilled/glued 40 bolt action pens this afternoon. Will probably start on these in the morning.

40?

Is that an order or just to stock?

Actually the order is for 55 pens total (40 bolt action pens & 15 Princess pens). Timing was perfect. I'm off work all week for Thanksgiving break. So I will be busy this week.

Top Bottom