CA glue suggestion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I'm a new turner and have been reading here and saw that getting CA glue on you hands is a common problem. Thought I would pass along what I have been doing that has worked well for me.

Whenever I use CA glue I wear the disposable vinyl gloves like food workers wear. I can actually reuse the same pair of gloves many times. The glue doesn't stick to the gloves very fast so there is plenty of time to work. I find it works great for gluing the tubes in the blanks.
I have also used it when I am filling small rough spots on the pen will sanding. Picked up a small handful of saw dust from the turning, pour some CA glue in my hand to make a slurry and applied it to the blank. Then just brushed the excess off the gloves before taking them off. Have also used it when applying glue to the blank on the lathe. Just held my gloved hand on the bottom of the blank and dribbled the glue on the top while it is turning.

I haven't tried using CA as a finish yet, but from my experience so far it seems like it would work for that also.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

yeah, the gloves are a lifesaver... or skinsaver at least. i use them every time i handle CA... and i'll have to check those ones out at HF! [;)]

richstick1

I just bought a box of 100 of the blue nitrile gloves (the kind you see in the hospital now because some people are allergic to latex) at Harbor Freight for $6.99 - super cheap! They are tougher than the latex gloves too I think, and they are great for any staining/painting work, should be great for CA glue (still waiting for my CA glue to come, so I don't know :) Also good for giving to LOML to clean the house. Ok, ok, I end up cleaning the house too...

heineda

Dale,

I don't know about you, but I'm awful proud of all the CA I have stuck all over my hands most of the time. Especially after a day or two when it starts to turn a dark gray or black color. The best part of all is that my wife will not take me with her anywhere when I look like that!!!! What a blessing - no shopping -- no hair or nail salons!!!

Happy Turning,
Dan Heine

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am on my 3rd box of 100 rubber gloves - over two years. Very handy. I also use them to smooth glue on the blanks. However, for me it works better in smoothing the medium and thick CA better than thin. I tried using the gloves to spread the thi,n but it cures too fast for a consistently smooth finish, so I use the paper towel for the thin. The way I do CA is 4 to 6 coats of thin CA with paper towel, then 2 or 3 coats of medium or thick using the gloves as a spreader. After that cures, I go back to the paper towel as the applicator for several coats of thin again. (Sanding in between of course).

pssherman

Originally posted by Richstick
<br />I just bought a box of 100 of the blue nitrile gloves (the kind you see in the hospital now because some people are allergic to latex) at Harbor Freight for $6.99 - super cheap! They are tougher than the latex gloves too I think, and they are great for any staining/painting work, should be great for CA glue (still waiting for my CA glue to come, so I don't know :) Also good for giving to LOML to clean the house. Ok, ok, I end up cleaning the house too...

Be advised that CA bonds very well to nitrile gloves. I was spreading CA on a rotating blank and the CA bonded the nitrile to the blank. This resulted in ripping a sizeable hole in the finger of the glove and left a large piece of blue nitrile attached to the blank. I had to use a skew chisel to remove it from the blank.

Paul in AR

Originally posted by pssherman
Be advised that CA bonds very well to nitrile gloves. I was spreading CA on a rotating blank and the CA bonded the nitrile to the blank. This resulted in ripping a sizeable hole in the finger of the glove and left a large piece of blue nitrile attached to the blank. I had to use a skew chisel to remove it from the blank.

Paul in AR

I thought one was supposed to rotate blanks by hand while applying CA?

Malainse

I use vinyl gloves from my local dollar store. Can use a pair for 2-3 pens/ CA finish. 100 gloves for, you guessed it $1.00........

Abrock75

I apply at 1100 RPM seems to work for me and no ripples or flingage of the CA.[8D]
Originally posted by Glass Scratcher
<br />

Paul in AR

pssherman

Originally posted by Glass Scratcher
<br />

Paul in AR

I rotate by hand only when dealing with very porous materials like corn cob or punky wood. Otherwise I set the lathe at the slowest speed.

Paul in AR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom