CA glue is not just for pens...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Russell Eaton

Russell Eaton

I have been working on a couple of larger projects of late. Here are a pair of ambrosia maple hollow forms that I finished last week. They both have a CA glue finish and the smaller one is real slick. Comments are welcome. Russell

Attachments

• IMG_2990.jpg
    IMG_2990.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_2994.jpg
    IMG_2994.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2996.jpg
    IMG_2996.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2998.jpg
    IMG_2998.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_3011.jpg
    IMG_3011.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 204
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Very nice, the whole thing, finish, form, wood every thing. I tried C/A on larger forms but it just didn`t work for me. It dried to fast, i did not try hard to work it out, just dismissed it. I think i will try again. Carl

bradh

Very nice work. The finish looks great too.
I too have tried CA on larger items and found it difficult to get a smooth finish. What type of CA are you using?

Russell Eaton

Stickfast CA. They have a formula JUST for finishing. It has been on the market for less than a year. I think Roy sells it as well as several other vendors.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great looking work! The finish appears to have more of a sheen finish instead of the deep shine of a 12000 mm finish. Was this intentional? Or is it the photo setup? I have done a few pens and a bowl with CA with the sheen/no shine finish.

I did a coffee mug with CA and it was hard for a consistent finish (it was shiny), the bowl wasn't. But all of that was a good while ago.

Last edited:

Russell Eaton

Great looking work! The finish appears to have more of a sheen finish instead of the deep shine of a 12000 mm finish. Was this intentional? Or is it the photo setup? I have done a few pens and a bowl with CA with the sheen/no shine finish.

I did a coffee mug with CA and it was hard for a consistent finish (it was shiny), the bowl wasn't. But all of that was a good while ago.
Lee the reason for the "sheen" is it needs to be buffed. I wanted to let the glue dry fully before I buffed it out. I may even use wax on it as well. The photo does make it look more satin than it is. Thanks for the comment.

leehljp

Member Liaison

Lee the reason for the "sheen" is it needs to be buffed. I wanted to let the glue dry fully before I buffed it out. I may even use wax on it as well. The photo does make it look more satin than it is. Thanks for the comment.

Thanks for the reply. I am always interested in what other people are doing and I haven't seen very many posts with CA finishing on anything other than pens. Thanks for sharing this. I do plan on using CA as a finish for small bowls again in the future.

Top Bottom