CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomtedesco

I am new to using CA on pens, watched several videos from different turners about CA finish. When I apply thin CA I get good results, smooth surface and very glossy. However when I move up to medium I start to get uneven surfaces and I don't like the results, sand it off and start over. I am not using spray, just letting the CA air dry. First, what am I missing or doing wrong? Second, it there a difference between 15 to 20 coats of thin CA or two or three of medium CA?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

Some random thoughts...

It is hard to say what the problem is without actually being there and watching your procedure. Even with that caveat, let me jump in...

I assume that your CA is fairly new. I have had very good success with 2P-10, but others like what they are using. So, I will also assume that what you are using is OK. That brings me to your procedure.

First off, I use accelerator all of the time, and I don't have any problems with it. I would emphasize that you must be very careful not to use too much! I do two or three very, very brief shots, and I have my dust collector on so there isn''t much hitting the blank. I then feel the blank and don't add any more CA until there is no drag on my finger as I touch the spinning blank.

I put a drop of CA on a folded paper towel (I actually use something more akin to the paper hand towels that are used in restrooms), and quickly wipe it from side to side. Don't put too much, and don't lolly gag with the application. A quick spritz with the accelerator, feel the blank, and then when it is dry, on a clean portion of the paper towel, apply the next drop.

I sometimes (if the wood is porous) use a couple of coats of thin, then go to the medium. Oft times, I will just go to the medium. I apply 7 to 9 coats of medium and then go to my finishing procedure, which is sand with 400 with the lathe on slow speed, then with the lathe off, sanding laterally. I then check for an even dull sheen and make sure there are no glaring problems with the finish. Then, on to wet sanding with micro mesh.

That said, there are as many techniques as there are finishers. This is just briefly what works for me.

Good luck!

Skie_M

I'm sorry, I can't help you with this question ...

I've never use any kind of CA other than the plain ordinary superglue you can buy at Harbor Freight in the 10-pack...

I have had cloudiness isses (when I tried a home made accelerator), but once I determined that it was giving me the problems, I stopped and it went away.

Charlie_W

I second Warren's process.
There is a difference between just applying coats of CA and calling it done versus finishing(sanding(if needed), wet sanding, polish, buff) the finish(CA).
Sand after all CA is built up.

Last edited:

Warren White

Good morning, Tom. I am an old Colorado guy myself, having lived in Gunnison, Eagle, Yampa, Wrey, Denver, and Evergreen. My daughter lived in Erie for a little while.

I forgot to mention that I clean the blank with DNA after I do the initial sanding, and before I start the CA process. Let the blank dry completely before you start applying the CA.

I don't sand until all coats have been applied. The way you put the CA on is very important. It is easy to get too much on at a time. Just one drop on the towel at a time, and move the towel quickly back and forth. I apply the drop from the center out, first in one direction, with the next going from the center out in the other direction.

The sanding after the CA is important. Just enough to get an even dull sheen; no shiny places (indicating a low spot). If you have that, you need to clean the blank (I use DNA) and apply more CA and resand.

Good luck!

edstreet

I am new to using CA on pens, watched several videos from different turners about CA finish. When I apply thin CA I get good results, smooth surface and very glossy. However when I move up to medium I start to get uneven surfaces and I don't like the results, sand it off and start over. I am not using spray, just letting the CA air dry. First, what am I missing or doing wrong? Second, it there a difference between 15 to 20 coats of thin CA or two or three of medium CA?

Yes. Missing a few things.

Often times non-thin uses additives like we see in casting resin the regulate viscosity. This yields a difference in characteristic in how it is best applied.

The faster everyone gets over treating all CA as equal the better results you will have. Uneven surfaces you will have a greater number of these with the higher viscosity you work with, often a very good thing For some reason many view it as 'bad'. In the end it boils down to sanding skills to even the surface. Your glue applicator skills can make that job minimal.

As for the diff is simple. The casting additives. Do you want plexiglass surface or do you want pure superglue surface?

triw51

I use the BLO/CA finish on almost all my wood pens and small wooden turnings. I only use thin CA I usually do about 10 to 12 coats and then buff with white diamond on the lathe then hut polish. Done
If you want I will pm you the details on my finish.

nativewooder

Lots of good advice! Different strokes for different folks! ETC. You may want to try different styles until you find what suits you. Things like temperature and humidity will also affect the application of CA.:wink:

hanau

i apply around 6 coats of med. CA glue with a paper towel.
I let each coat air dry before going to next coat.
The i go thru the micro mesh pads
then buff using Tripoli and white diamond.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I do not follow this routine to the letter but as for the actual application this is the method that works for me better than any others I have tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

Unless there are some special circumstances I rarely apply more than 6 coats of medium. There is really no need to under normal circumstances.

If you and Warran ever have a Colorado reunion please invite me. Born in Boulder, lived in Littleton.

Last edited:
Top Bottom