CA Finish on Top of Acrylic, PR, etc (?)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I believe some do this. I tried it last night on top of a Genesis blank and it worked out quite nice (just 4 coats of medium). I know it's done with mixed matreials (wood and plastic)...but was wondering how popular it is with more experienced penturners. And thanks to the advice of another experienced turner. I appiled the CA on the rotating lathe without bushings in the blanks. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Hi Tony - The materials you mention (acrylic, PR) don't need a protective finish and can be directly polished to whatever level of gloss that you desire.

It is possible that less than optimal turning techniques will leave a ragged surface on these materials. Rather than removing the surface imperfections, some my opt to fill them with something like CA to make them "go away". That's a lot of extra work. A better solution is to fix the turning techniques so the finished surface is flawless after turning and only in need of final polishing.

Just my opinion.

Ed

TonyL

Thank you and I agree...I was just playing around, and thought it added some depth. May have been an illusion.

Dan Masshardt

Thank you and I agree...I was just playing around, and thought it added some depth. May have been an illusion.

It may add some depth. But to me the work and the time and risks offer very little possible advantage.

Like Ed said, if it was chipped out.

I do use ca on mixed material blanks.

turncrazy43

However, when you use Genesis blanks I would recommend CA finish over the blank. Reason? The Blank is made with, what appears to be fiber or cardboard grids. To seal the edges of the grids CA is the answer to the best finish in my opinion. Otherwise, CA is not needed on acrylic type blanks.

Chasper

Before I bought a buffer several years ago, I used CA in the finish process for blanks that were clear casts over a covered tube; snake skin, carbon fiber, etc. It worked, but not as well as buffing. Now, if I didn't have a buffer I would use progressive polishes like Novus Plastic Polish.

Lenny

If you under-turn wood you can build it back up with your finish.

If you under-turn acrylic or pr you can also add coats of ca to build it back up.

Not that I have ever done that! :rolleyes: :wink:

That's the only reason I can think of .. :)

Curly

It is a useful technique with watch part pens if a part is exposed while turning. The tip of a gear shaft for example. A few coats of CA and the blank is good as new.

Top Bottom