Ca Finish on a Pepper mill???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jmhoff10500

Jmhoff10500

Can you put a Ca Finish on a pepper mill? i have a couple big chunks of really nice buckeye burl i wanna try to make into a pepper mill but its kinda soft... Would a Ca Finish work, or would it get beat up real bad?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

purplehaze

Jon, I am in the process of doing the same thing with some spalted Cherry. The wood has some very soft areas that were tearing out.

The only problem is that the CA does not penetrate very deep into the wood so you will have to reapply the CA often as you turn. Good luck

nava1uni

Why don't you rough turn the mill then soak it in Minwax Hardener for a couple of days and then let it dry for a week. I find that I can stabilize soft wood this way with good results.

JBCustomPens

Can you put a Ca Finish on a pepper mill? i have a couple big chunks of really nice buckeye burl i wanna try to make into a pepper mill but its kinda soft... Would a Ca Finish work, or would it get beat up real bad?

It would probably hold up pretty good. Just my guess.

It would probably take about a bottle of CA though, so it wouldn't be cheap.

I would think it will hold up fine, but be very careful with that amount of CA fumes... be sure you have good ventilation... the fumes could be a killer.

I don't do CA finishes on any of my pepper mills, but sometimes do add a little on softer portions. I would think the wood hardener that Cindy mentioned would be a better solution... less fumes and less CA usage. Most of mine are finished with a wipe on polyurethane that works well.

Top Bottom