CA finish cracking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

I've just recently started putting CA finish on some of my pens. Some with success, some not. Each one have been a learning experience for sure. I need some advise on 2 issues I'm having.
1) I'm turning between centers and using the delrin bushings when applying the CA. I'm still having the blanks stick to the bushings and when I pull the bushings out, the CA will crack off of the blank, maybe 1/8-1/4" in. I've read some will take a blade and cut the CA; I've tried that but that leaves a hard edge on the blank. Is the solution to apply the CA between centers without the bushings? Put a thin coat of wax on the centers so it's easier to clean the CA off of them?
2) I've started making pens with decals and have had pretty good success, until now. This is a pen I've had sitting on my desk, never been dropped that I'm aware of. There are cracks in several places on both upper and lower barrels. The only thing I can think of is moisture. I'm pretty sure I wet sanded the blank before applying the CA. I thought it was dry; maybe not dry enough? Any other thoughts what may have caused the cracks. Would wet sanding the CA allow moisture to seep between the Ca and the blank?

Attachments

• IMAG0248a.jpg
    IMAG0248a.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMAG0249a.jpg
    IMAG0249a.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 283

Bean_Counter

I use a rod such as a scre driver or an old mandrel and stick it into the delron. Gently rock it back and forth and the delron will pop right off the blank. I've never had it crack the ca doing it this way. I do Have to sand down the edges of the blank with a jig I got from Rick Harrell

As to issue number 2 are you waiting for the water slide decal to fully dry? I'd at least give it a full 24 hours that way all of the moisture under the decal is gone

walshjp17

I note you say you wet sand and then apply the CA. I do just the opposite; I apply six to ten coats of CA (with accelerator), knock back the shine, then wet sand with MM through 12,000. I have not had any CA finishes crack using this method.

As to the sticking bushings, I have not had a problem with the Delrin bushings. If the steel bushings get stuck, like other posters, I just insert a round file or rod and move it back-and-forth a bit until it breaks free. Wax on the bushings does help.

Top Bottom