CA Finish and Wax?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G200

Thanks to all of you I have finally started to get good CA finishes on my pens. (It was easier before the temperature went below freezing). I have generally done the CA build-up using Russ Fairfield's methods. (Almost always using the BLO method since my applicators come apart if I try just plain CA).

I have tried dry sanding through 12k mm, wet sanding through 12k mm, and the beall buffing system (shiny thumb method:)). While I probably like the 12k wet sanding the best, I have had two pens where I ended up with fogging in the CA. I was able to just re-sand (dry) and re-apply and everything was fine again. Those were the only two times I have had any fogging issue at all and am still not sure exactly what caused it, although I didn't let the CA harden but a few minutes prior to doing the sanding... For the buffing, I have always let the CA harden at least 24-48 hours...

Anyway, now that I have a nice finish on the pens (almost repeatable every time) I'm curious how many of you out there put something over the CA? I put just a little bit of the Carnuba wax from the 3rd wheel of the Beall on one of the pens, but I'm not sure if it really added anything to the finish or if it is more of a protection thing?

So my question is leave it at a nice CA finish or put something else over the CA?

Thanks!

G

leehljp

Member Liaison
I usually put a couple of coats of wax on top of the CA. But not always. Keep in mind that Wax will wear off rather quickly when the pen is used.

It is a personal preference.

bradh

Many of us use a product called Renaissance Wax. Quite pricey and not everyone has it, most pen kit suppliers carry it now. It is a museum grade wax from the UK that is quite easy to use. The beauty of this wax is it does not show finger prints on the hardware when handled.

Top Bottom