CA & Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arcwick08

First Post! Long time lurker though :)

I wanted to get y'alls input on the various methods you use to keep from gluing your pens to the bushings when using a CA finish.

I usually pause a couple times during my ca coats, stop the lathe and use a knife to score where the blank meets the bushings. This usually works, but about one in four I end up with littttttle white lines at the ends where the blank meets the bushing. They look crummy :-(

How about everybody else?
Cheers!

Adam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I dont use anything on mine. What I do it apply my CA to almost complete then I take a 1/16" homemade parting tool (sawzall blade w/ a handle) and clean all of the CA off the bushings to the pen. I then loosen the tailstock about 3/8" and take a pair of Klein Sidecutters (use anyhting that is just what is handy) and I tap the bushings lightly while I roll the blank. Sometimes I have to hit to 40+ times but I do it softly and it only takes a minute. This usually will brake the CA bond between the pen and the bushing. I try not to use excessive force to spin the bushing. If it does not go by hand I tap it some more. Since I started this routine I have not had any damage when removing the blank from the Bushing. Once done if there is damage I fix it and finish my CA (maybe 1-2 coats) go through it all again, this time is much faster. Tighten it up and go to sanding.

Last edited:

arcwick08

Do you mean use a set on conical bushing on the mand? Or mount between cone centers in the head and tail? Wouldn't doing the latter limit you to finishing one half at a time?

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Jim Burr

Banned
You can use Delrin bushing for finishing only since CA wont stick to them. Or when you get ready to apply your CA, take the tube off the bushings and put the tube between your 60 degree cones. Very light pressue on the tailstock!!! Don't want to flair your tube!!

Turned Around

You can use Delrin bushing for finishing only since CA wont stick to them. Or when you get ready to apply your CA, take the tube off the bushings and put the tube between your 60 degree cones. Very light pressue on the tailstock!!! Don't want to flair your tube!!

i would be worried about not getting the tube centered between 2 cones. my tailstock has a bit of give on it and if it's not the same centered as it was when it was turned, wouldn't it make for a sloppy finish? or not even cover all of the blank for that matter

arcwick08

Is delrin along the same lines as uhmw plastic? Are there any places carrying pen-specific bushings made from this plastic?

JimB

Do you mean use a set on conical bushing on the mand? Or mount between cone centers in the head and tail? Wouldn't doing the latter limit you to finishing one half at a time?

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Between centers. A dead center in the headstock and a live center in the tailstock. And yes, you are finishing one barrel at a time just like you would be turning one at a time if turning between centers.

It may take a few minutes longer but compared to repairing a damaged finish due to the ca sticking to bushings it is a time saver and much more worry free. I have not had a single problem since doing it this way.

arcwick08

Thanks everyone for your input! Lots of ideas I must now investigate...
I've also got something involving think slice uhmw stock shims bouncing around my brain. I'll post an update if it comes to anything!
Adam

Top Bottom