CA Build-up on Centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spnemo

I have begun turning and finishing between centers. The results have been great except for one minor irritation. Whenever I do a CA finish, I get a build-up of glue on the live and dead centers. On every pen I have to remove the build-up before proceeding to the sanding. :mad:

How can I prevent the glue from building up on the centers? I have tried paste wax and carnuba with no success. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

I have used wax with limited success but I normally just scrape it off with my skew after I am done. Some people use the delrin bushings to help prevent this. I have also heard people say to soak the tips in acetone every now and then to remove the CA.

mick

I've got a soft wire brush mounted on one of my grinders. I just knock the centers out when the build up gets bad and use the wire brush to take off the CA

Lenny

I hate to be one of those guys that answers a question by telling you you should spend more money on another tool! But here I go ..... John
(johnnycnc) at www.penturnersproducts.com sells a set of eliminator bushings specifically for use when finishing with CA glue. After having a few pens stick to my bushings (and tear off little pieces of wood) I got some and haven't had a problem since. A great product because it FIXes a problem!

ldb2000

Acetone is the easiest way to keep the centers clean but be careful with the live center , soak just the tip , don't get any acetone in the bearings , it will wash out the grease and your bearings will go bad fast .
The best way to keep them clean is to not just slather on the CA . I always finish between centers with thin CA at high speed and very seldom need to clean the centers . Use just enough CA to coat the blank and don't go past the ends of the blank .

spnemo

Sounds like the Acetone soak is my best bet until I improve my technique or buy the eliminator bushings. Thanks everyone!

spnemo

I looked for the Eliminator bushings, the only thing I found is bushings for the mandrel. Is it possible to use thes bushings for finishing between centers?

Lenny

I believe he has delrin bushing for finishing between centers. The real beauty of the eliminator bushings is the fact they are universal to all(most) kits! :)

Top Bottom