CA+BLO and accelerator?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lawry76

A recent thread has made me wonder if some of you use a squirt of accelerator when putting on a BLO/CA finish? I haven't in the past but now I wonder if maybe I am rushing things a bit. Every 10th pen or so I get scatch marks that aren't on the wood, they are on the finish. Maybe I should let the blank sit for a longer time between coats or should I use an accelerator?

Thanks
Robert in Peoria

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I use it on every other coat . Also wait until the CA stops smoking off the paper towel , then apply another coat . This makes me believe it has been long enough wait . So far it has worked out for me . Hope this helps .

writestuff

CA finish???

I have read with interest all posts on CA finish since joining the forum recently. I use the CA/BLO (Russ Fairfield ) method, and finish each application with the strip of Grocery bag rubdown. I forgot this last for a while and anyone can spot those pens even tho they are buffed. The grobag rub down seems to smooth, (flaten) the CA. I also aply second and subsequent coats imedeately with no seeming harmful effects.
I would add that I used to use wipe on poly on my first pens, but found thaat it took a week or more with sporadic results. I can finish a pen in less than thirty mins. with the RF method. :)
WS

jttheclockman

I have my own opinion on the use of CA/BLO and have stated them before. First I do not use blo with CA. I use thin CA and find it works great.

My thought on using an acclerator with CA/blo is a waste of time. The blo is suppose to be the acclerator. The acclerator will make the CA dry but will not make the blo dry so to me it would leave a cloudy mess. Just my opinion.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Why use an accelerator? A CA glue finish can present enough problems of its own without adding an acceperator to the mix and creating a whole new set of problems.

The pen turners worst enemy is a slavish desire to make everything happen faster. That includes using an "instant glue" and then using an accelerator because "instant" isn't fast enough. Finishing takes time. Relax and enjoy the trip. Most finishing problems are the result of trying to make everything happen faster.

If you are having problems with a CA finish, try waiting until the pen barrels have cooled to room temperature before applying the CA. Heat is a factor in many of the problems people have with the CA finish. The pen barrels are quite warm after sanding.

Last edited:
Top Bottom