ca and blo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

hi i am needing to know how to use ca and blo to finsh pens i am wanting to get a very high gloss finsh on a pen that i am working on and have seen some on this idea but not sure how to use it the pen is out of cocobolo
thanks for the advice
todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hilltopper46

Personally, if I wanted a high-gloss finish I would drop the BLO and go for a straight CA finish. If you use a white paper towel to apply the CA, on cocobolo you will see a yellow stain for the first 2 or 3 coats of CA which is the oil coming out of the wood.

I've used this method and then carried the pen(s) in stock long enough to see that the finish held up to storage and repeated handling.

soligen

I was nto able to get a high gloss with BLO, so now I use just CA alone for high glosss finishes.

When i sue BLO, I get little spots that dont buff up as well other spots.

I use BLO when I want a "soft gloss" or Satin. Using BLO is easier, just doesn't give me consistent high gloss

sbwertz

hi i am needing to know how to use ca and blo to finsh pens i am wanting to get a very high gloss finsh on a pen that i am working on and have seen some on this idea but not sure how to use it the pen is out of cocobolo
thanks for the advice
todd

I'm a beginner and have had great success with this technique from William O Young. He is a member on this board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc

Last edited:

ToddMR

Also on oily woods if you spray and then wipe down the blank with accelerator I find that helps too. I did this and then followed up with a thin CA coating to seal. I always wipe my blanks with DNA after dry sanding, but add this step with oily woods.

Top Bottom