By another name?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

With all of the knowledgeable people on this site and all of you using lathes, I hope someone can help.

Is there something similar to a rotary axis, some call it a rotary table, that has the headstock with a chuck and a tailstock, but without the electronics?
I've seen dividing heads, but those are entirely too expensive.
I need to spin the object and also have it clamped/held in place, so it doesn't spin on the fixture.
Perhaps, there isn't such a set-up?

Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

The Sherline Rotary table -- 4 inch -- can be mounted on edge and can have a holding fixture mounted on it -- like a chuck.

That or similar is what is used on lasers and CNC systems.

Ain't cheap -- but you did not set as $$$$ value and some of those may be found used.

H2O

The Sherline Rotary table -- 4 inch -- can be mounted on edge and can have a holding fixture mounted on it -- like a chuck.

That or similar is what is used on lasers and CNC systems.

Ain't cheap -- but you did not set as $$$$ value and some of those may be found used.

I've seen the rotary axis for the cnc machines. They have them on ebay for $165 and up, but they have the motor and associated items that I wouldn't need. I hoped there might be something similar, without the motor, for a little better price. I've found bearing and pillow blocks, but would have to fabricate everything else and I don't have the equipment for that.

I hate to purchase the motor, etc., when I wouldn't use it.

dogcatcher

Tell us what you are trying to do??? From above post, it sounds like you want to mount a chuck that will spin by hand, but also can be locked in place. Do you want the chuck to be laying flat with "object" on top or setting on side with the "object" hanging off to the side???

H2O

Would a non-working lathe do the trick, or even just not using the motor on your current lathe? Or are you looking for something different?

I've been looking at used lathes. Most of them cost more than the ebay pieces. I currently do not have a lathe, when I need to use one, I use a friends.
I appreciate the idea.
I'm hopeful that there's an alternative and I'm sure someone on here has the knowledge.

KenV

Sherline rotary table comes with a hand crank and steppers or servo motors are extra. Manual operation is good per what you described. I suggested sherline because of easy resale value.

H2O

Tell us what you are trying to do??? From above post, it sounds like you want to mount a chuck that will spin by hand, but also can be locked in place. Do you want the chuck to be laying flat with "object" on top or setting on side with the "object" hanging off to the side???

I want to mount between the centers just like a lathe (horizontal), but I don't need the power/motor. The chuck would be to lock the object in place, so it doesn't spin freely, but it can be rotated as needed. The rotary axis is the perfect set-up, if it didn't have the motor. I might end up having to just get one and scrap the electrics, if there isn't an alternative.

H2O

Sherline rotary table comes with a hand crank and steppers or servo motors are extra. Manual operation is good per what you described. I suggested sherline because of easy resale value.

Thanks Ken.
I looked at the Sherline rotary table... ouch! It doesn't have the tailstock with it either. I hope not to have to resell it and probably wouldn't be able to after I modify it to do what I would like to do.

KenV

Getting a rotary table and tailstock for machinist kind of work gets to real $$$$ pretty fast

Look at Shars (Shars.com and search on rotary tables)

Most any spindle lathe with an indexing wheel gets you into the right capability you are describing.

Alisam Engineering sells good indexing wheels and the fittings to perhaps make what you need. I use one of these wheels with a Jet 10-14 -- and the use is not with the motor running for sure.

Alisam Engineering - Hand Tool Manufacturing

Skie_M

If you build it, will it work?

9Zg2b4Z.jpg

You could make something like this as a jig for what you're working on .... see the pulley wheels on the left? imagine indexing holes...

See the spur center mounted on the spindle? imagine a regular drill chuck or some other fixture.

The basic tool is not difficult to create, if you know the end result you are wanting.

dogcatcher

Make a "headstock" out of 3x3 hardwood, drill a hole for a bolt that has threads that will match your chuck. A "tailstock can also be made out of hard wood. Here is a pic of one from my lathe collection, a Beaver Wood Lathe.

wjjuoi.jpg

The overall design is pretty simple, substitute the headstock shaft with a bolt with threads the same as the chick you will use. You may have to "modify" the bolt, by buying extra length and then make a handle to turn it. Not a big deal, simply drill and tap the handle/wheel from the top and use a set screw.

The tail stock, I would use a piece of all thread, sharpen one end with a grinder. Drill and TAP your block of wood, make a wood handle for it and screw the all thread through your "tailstock" block of wood.

Basically you are making a wood lathe out of wood. Look on Google, plenty of info for making homemade wood lathes out of wood.

Now I am ready and want to see your "machine".

Curly

Mal suggested what I would, and, have used, the 5C Spin Index. If you want to hold a chuck in it Lee Valley have some mandrels That the collet will hold. Alisam, referred to earlier, also have adapters at a greater cost but likely more acurate. There are 3 and 4 jaw 5C chucks that fit directly to the Spin Index if your work is originating in the fixture you have in mind. There are 5C collets that will hold square and hexagonal stock as long as it is accurately sized.

TimS124

How big do you need it to be? Sounds like the cheapest Harbor Freight lathe might do what you want. Worst case, you'd need to add a disk with carefully drilled indexing holes if that lathe doesn't have what you want....

TurtleTom

Getting a rotary table and tailstock for machinist kind of work gets to real $$$$ pretty fast

Look at Shars (Shars.com and search on rotary tables)

Most any spindle lathe with an indexing wheel gets you into the right capability you are describing.

Alisam Engineering sells good indexing wheels and the fittings to perhaps make what you need. I use one of these wheels with a Jet 10-14 -- and the use is not with the motor running for sure.

Alisam Engineering - Hand Tool Manufacturing

Thanks for the link to the Alisam site, KenV. I bookmarked that in a hurry. Wow! I'm gonna be a good customer.

H2O

Thanks for all of the links, advice, and information. I've seen some interesting tools, most that I have no idea what they are used for, and some items of interest.
I hadn't considered the indexing aspect, but it might be a nice feature. I like the spin index and with the collet adapter, a chuck could be attached, which is a priority. I would still need a tailstock to support the opposite end. Maybe the bolt through a hardwood block would suffice.

Thanks again to all!

TurtleTom

You might look at a horizontal shaft small engine that's dead. Old generators have them. Remove pistons and valves, then voila, headstock. I've made all sorts of things with them.

Top Bottom