Buying pressure pots

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BJohn

This is a topic that has been spoken of alot lately with varied opinions. I just built a HF pot. But some will give you strong opinions about the quality of that pot. But others say they have used for quite some time and have had no issues.

Check the library there is an article in there about using an HF pot. It is for both pressure and vacuum. I just modified the plans for just pressure.

Search the threads under casting and you will find tons of information.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

kingkeyman

I haven't had an issue with my harbor freight pot as of yet. I believe that last year somebody had a HF pot explode, but I think he said he had the pressure at 80 psi and the tank is only rated for 60 psi. I'm not afraid of mine. I by scraps from a local plastics shop to make my square molds with. All my tube on molds are made with corrugated sign board assembled with a hot glue gun. Casting doesn't have to be an extremely expensive venture. If you have a well ventilated area, I would get started with Polyester Resin, It is a lot cheaper and you have a lot more time to work with it. Alumilite is stronger, and virtually fume free, but it costs twice as much and you only have between 2 and 7 minutes to work with it depending on which formulation you are using. If you are experienced and have all your ducks in a row, that is enough time, but if you've never done it before, you'll probably waste some valuable resin. Just my nickels worth.Happy casting:biggrin:

sbell111

I haven't had an issue with my harbor freight pot as of yet. I believe that last year somebody had a HF pot explode, but I think he said he had the pressure at 80 psi and the tank is only rated for 60 psi.
I have no information about that pot that supposedly exploded as I don't remember the specific discussion. I suspect that it has more to do with improperly tightening the clamps than a problem with the pot.

That being said, it should be noted that HF pots are rated to 80 psi, not 60.

sbell111

That being said, it should be noted that HF pots are rated to 80 psi, not 60.

Steve,

There are different versions. I have worked on ones that said 80 psi and ones that said 60 psi. It just depends on which factory HF buys from at the time.

You are certainly correct.

The HF pot that I bought a number of years ago and the one's currently being sold at the local HF store are rated at 80psi, so I assumed that they all are. However, a quick check showed that the HF website currently states that the one sold online is rated at 60psi. If you buy it, I suppose that they may send you that 60psi one or the 80psi one that is being sold in the physical stores.

Last edited:

Shock me

+1 w/ Steve.

This is an open discussion forum. No question deserves such a snarky response. If the respondant is uninterested in another discussion of the same topic, move along. If his intent is to educate the OP, I would suggest that he could do so more effectively without the snarky condescension.

I've read all those threads before with interest (well, except for the one slammed shut quickly by the respondant's habitual rudeness). The all contain different information. They veer off on delightful or undelightful tangents, different products are mentioned and different experiences are shared. When the question gets asked again, I always follow the resulting thread to see what I might learn.

Had somebody not asked questions similar to those asked before, we'd have just stopped at
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f178/pressure-vacumn-pots-123171/
and the community would know less.

So ask away. Searching the forums is great, you'll learn tons. But dont be afraid to ask anyway. Ignore snarky replies.

Top Bottom