Buying my first metal lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seanphotoguy

I have 95% decided on going with the King 10x22 lathe as my metal lathe. the 7 x 12 just doesn't seem like it will be big enough. I am really not keen on the craftex stuff as people seem to think service in not very good.

Any one out there have thoughts on this. These are the two budget brands available in my area of Ontario.

Sean

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

I looked up a postal code for you area, but LMS site wouldn't estimate shipping. It popped up saying they would try to find the best rate. You might give them a call. It says they'll ship to the US and Canada, so they probably have a decent guess at what it would run.

seanphotoguy

i fifured shipping would be rediculous for something so heavy

and there is a local guy who sells and services the king brand. how would i ever get the lms one fixed? Everything is expensive in canada its the universal health care ;)

Sean

seanphotoguy

got an answer

so if you want to buy the LMS lathe for ontario these are the additional costs

Brokerage.
Cost for this is:
ABF trucking $207.79
Hemisphere $108.00

so thats $1349 + 207 + 108 = $1664 vs 1999 for a slightly larger lathe locally.

Still cheaper but not significantly so.

would love to hear from anyone who uses the king lathe in canada?

frank123

That looks like a pretty decent machine that should allow some serious machining.

That 1" spindle bore lets you do a lot of things that you can't do on the little MT3 3/4 inch spindle bores, something that is worth the extra cost -IMO- over something like the 8 x 12 - 16 lathes.

Quite a bit heavier though, not something that lends itself to a small shop that may need it moved around to make room for other projects.

Top Bottom