Buying from Canada & Exchange Rates

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I noticed that 1 US dollar is worth about 1.45 Canadian dollars. Or one can think of it as 1 Canadian dollar is worth about 69 US cents. I know there are exchange rate fees (and possibly higher shipping costs), but I wonder if it's a less expensive time for the US to buy Canadian products. I am going to call AMEX and find out. Let me know what you guys think. At that exchange rate, buying Canadian products with US currency would equate to 30% discount - assuming Canadian merchants do not raise their prices to account for their "weaker" currency.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I see two instances where you might get a deal:

1) You are buying something made in Canada with Canadian labor and Canadian source materials from a vendor who does not routinely export to the US.

2) You are buying something that has been sitting in inventory since CAD was at parity (and the vendor doesn't plan on replacing the inventory after selling it to you).

Most vendors are going to be smart enough to price export sales at what the prevailing prices are in the export market.

You probably aren't going to be winning any friends amongst the Canadian members with this post. :biggrin:

Ed

bobleibo

I was recently in a spot that I needed some pen kits for a "how fast can you get them" client. After going to my normal sources and finding them all out of stock I searched and found them at William Wood Write in Ontario, Canada. This was the first time using them, not sure what to expect. The shipping cost was higher than normal but the exchange rate and their price made it about a break even in my situation.
The best part......I ordered on Sunday night and the package was in my hands on Wednesday morning! Great service beats great prices any day of the week for me.

Last edited:

rd_ab_penman

By the time you pay Canada Post high shipping costs and government GST, HST and import duties you will be lucky to break even.
I lot of suppliers are increasing their prices by 20-30% to cover the exchange rate due to the low Canadian dollar as most Canadian suppliers buy from the USA.

Les

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Exchange fees from your credit card are about 2 percent - unless you have a card that doesnt' charge them. (you'd have to ask your card provider).

Other than that, it's just taxes (13 percent) that are added to the price.

Using that, you can just add things to your cart and see the final price to see if it's cheaper.

Our dollar is a petrocurrency, so you'll see it fall further, rather than go up...

magpens

I'm not certain, but I would think that US buyers would be exempt from paying GST and PST taxes on an online purchase from a Canadian supplier. . As for shipping charges - yes, CanadaPost shipping is more expensive than USPS. . But some Canadian vendors who live close to the border employ courier services to take their US shipments to the US for mailing at USPS rates. . It is worth checking out your buying opportunities. . Overall I would think that you *may* be able to save by buying Canadian. . You might need to place a largish order to get the best deal.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I'm not certain, but I would think that US buyers would be exempt from paying GST and PST taxes on an online purchase from a Canadian supplier. . As for shipping charges - yes, CanadaPost shipping is more expensive than USPS. . But some Canadian vendors who live close to the border employ courier services to take their US shipments to the US for mailing at USPS rates. . It is worth checking out your buying opportunities. . Overall I would think that you *may* be able to save by buying Canadian. . You might need to place a largish order to get the best deal.

No, HST isn't exempt except to Canadian First Nations, and they only get the federal portion exempt, I think.

William woodwrite was cheaper for me when the US dollar rose against our CAD, so it must be doubly so for buying in USD, (if you buy enough to get free shipping)

Curly

Tony the easiest way to decide is get everything in the cart, find out what the shipping charges will be and see what your cost will be when you factor in the exchange.

The other thing you should be doing is planning your vacations in Canada this year. Skiing now, fishing, camping, bike touring this spring and summer have never been cheaper. Give yourselves a break from all the election "stuff" and come up and have fun!

I buy all of my pepper mill inserts (the crush grind inserts) from a rep in Canada... his prices are listed in USD and doesn't seem to be affected by the devaluation. Even with Canadian post charges, he's still less expensive than the US suppliers.

Lucky2

Personally Tony, I don't see how you couldn't/wouldn't save money now, with our dollar being only worth $.69 compared to the U.S. greenback. But, be prepared to find prices that are a bit higher in Canada verses the U.S. That is just a fact of life us Canadians live with, our prices are normally 10 to 20 percent higher then in the U.S. Actually, we're so used to it, that we normally don't think nothing of spending money in the states at that rate. If there are taxes charged, (there will be) Americans can submit a claim for reimbursement of said taxes. That's the way it used to be, it may have changed, but, I don't think so. Most Americans don't submit a claim to be reimbursed, simply because it's not all that much and it's more bother than it's worth.
Len

Top Bottom