Burned out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jack barnes

I don't visit IAP much any more. I went and make a pen the other day and didn't enjoy it.
So I'm thinking of selling off most of my tools and take up another hobby, just can't figure out what.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nativewooder

Sorry to hear that, Jack Barnes! I lost interest once before and it was because of those two girls who came to town in 2004, Frances and Jeanne!:biggrin: Turned out that I spent the next 15-18 months salvaging wood from trees destroyed by those Hurricanes. I didn't turn any pens for quite a few years as I was too busy admiring the beauty in the bowls, plates, platters, and vases I was making. Requiring a triple bypass operation took me away from what I was doing so I started making pens as that was less stressful while recovering from the operation. That's where I am now and I hope you find your way with less pain and problems! God Bless!

Rick P

Jack I haven't turned a pen since Christmas time. I suffer from fast burn out and needed a break! What works for me is to do several things that are easily tied in together. Turn a bowl or vessel. Leave the lathe for a while and do some cabinetry work.

Or go do something completely different for a while......I've been focused on my outdoors passions lately.......but don't sell your stuff! I promiss you will want it again!

Drstrangefart

I got hit by burnout and a divorce at the same time. Don't go selling your stuff yet. Give it a while, and see if the desire to go back to it returns. I'm just now getting back in, and it's starting to be relaxing again. If you don't want to go back to it after a good 6 months or so, then maybe it's time to re-consider the issue.

Jim Burr

Banned
I'm with Greg on this Jack. Lathes are so versatile; try some birdhouses, HF's, kitchen utility stuff (my personal favorite), weed pots, lidded boxes or some cool bowls. I don't know if you do or not...but give turnings away and bathe in the accolades! Nothing pushes out the "tired-of-turning-blues" than folks telling you how much they love your stuff...even if it is free...on a one time basis:wink:!!

Longfellow

After nearly 75 years of woodworking the thrill is gone for me also. Haven't done much for three months due to stroke and two surgeries. Done a bit of cutting this AM, but lasted less than two hours. Think I'll take up drinking again.

Jim Burr

Banned
After nearly 75 years of woodworking the thrill is gone for me also. Haven't done much for three months due to stroke and two surgeries. Done a bit of cutting this AM, but lasted less than two hours. Think I'll take up drinking again.

After all that crap Ken...you deserve to hang it up! Mojito or your favortie beach drink on me!

jd99

Don't do it!!

Your not burned out you just need to diversify, I make pens, and Bowls / platters, and christmas ornaments and use my router to make candy trays, chip trays, use my bandsaw to make bandsaw boxes, and etc, etc. Thats just the wood stuff, then there is the metal stuff I make.

Of course there is always the honey do list. :wink:

Jgrden

Well after the day I have experienced, my diplomacy has diminished, therefore, if you have a ny fountain pen kits for sale, I am interested. If you want to quit, no one is going to beg you to stay. If this is temporary, please 'suck it up' and renew your and our interest.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Jack,
Are you bored with pens, or the materials you have to make pens with.? I was in a funk and just got some super blanks with more coming and the interest is somewhat rekindled. Exciting blanks create excitement. Now, if life is hammering you down, walk away from the shop for a few months, revisit it and the decision will be apparent.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I got burned out and then bought a race car. I've only turned 2 pens since Thanksgiving. I still mess around in the shop making blanks and other stuff. I'm perfectly content with that right now.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't visit IAP much any more. I went and make a pen the other day and didn't enjoy it.
So I'm thinking of selling off most of my tools and take up another hobby, just can't figure out what.
For me hobbies last about 3 or 4 years and I lose interest. Pen turning has kind of fallen off for me partially because of the effect some of the stuff has on my breathing but I have take a liking to pen collecting and enjoy getting some nice pens. I still turn a pen now and then.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Hang in there Jack, maybe we can figure out a way to bring it back to life or a way of working around it. I think I know what is getting to you and time will ease it.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Steve,
I think you are the only guy that knows how to make a full automatic click button. Nobody would click twice unless they were drunk. :eek: Jack is afraid to come on the forum because he might accidently hit your avatar

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmmm

This discussion has gotten WAY too intellectual for me - I'm going to go to a Mensa meeting to get down to earth.:biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom