Burl ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

djz9

Hello to all, I am hoping someone with some Burl experience might be able to help me identify this piece. I picked it up on an online auction, so I have no idea what region or species it may be. It has a poly coat, but if you look at one of the picture you will see that section is cracked off. I see mainly cocoa, and coffee color with very little red in it.

Also, as this is my first attempt at cutting, what is the correct way to get the best yield? Would it be a straight cut, diagonal, or crosscut?

Any info would be greatly appreciated as always.

Attachments

• 100_1110.jpg
    100_1110.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_1111.jpg
    100_1111.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 100_1113.jpg
    100_1113.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 226
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Akula

cut depends on what your projects would be? pens, bottle stoppers other? I would cut it and turn a vase or bowls...yep, vase would be my choice

Justturnin

I would take the sides off and set them to the side for some AWESOME worthless wood casting then I would just start taking cuts striaght up the burl. you dont have to worry about cross cutting or anything because it is burl, they are all cross cuts. That is the beauty of Burl. Good luck. Once you get it cut up post some pics so we can see what is in that nasty icecream cone.

seamus7227

cut depends on what your projects would be? pens, bottle stoppers other? I would cut it and turn a vase or bowls...yep, vase would be my choice

I agree, this would look awesome as a vase! please be sure to post the after pics when you tear into it.

djz9

Thank you and yes it would make a wonderful vase, however I could never see all of that beautiful wood sitting on the floor as waste. One piece is nice, but several pen and pencil sets, along with a couple of fountain pen with desk holders could be spectacular. As soon as I get up the nerve to cut into it, I will put up some photos.
As always, thanks
Dave

juteck

For cutting into pen blanks, mark at the center at the widest point, then measure 5 to 5.5" either side of that to cut the knob off the branch material. You might end up with some nice figure remaining at the top of the branches -- use these for bottle stopper blanks, box blanks, or even Christmas ornaments. For the burled section remaining, depending on your saw capacity and ability to cut it safely, either split it in half lengthwise, or cut it in half around the girth then split it in half lengthwise. With each of the lengthwise halves, cut lengthwise slices at 3/4" or 7/8" thick, then lay each of these slices flat, and cut squares at 3/4" or 7/8" wide. You will end up with some odd outside edge pieces that you can cast as "worthless-wood"-type blanks after cleaning off the existing finish, or use these cutoffs for centerbands, finials, etc.

It is an odd shaped piece of wood, so take your time and make appropriate supports to secure the wood so you can cut it safely without the wood rolling or moving during sawing.

Rick P

For cutting into pen blanks, mark at the center at the widest point, then measure 5 to 5.5" either side of that to cut the knob off the branch material. You might end up with some nice figure remaining at the top of the branches -- use these for bottle stopper blanks, box blanks, or even Christmas ornaments. For the burled section remaining, depending on your saw capacity and ability to cut it safely, either split it in half lengthwise, or cut it in half around the girth then split it in half lengthwise. With each of the lengthwise halves, cut lengthwise slices at 3/4" or 7/8" thick, then lay each of these slices flat, and cut squares at 3/4" or 7/8" wide. You will end up with some odd outside edge pieces that you can cast as "worthless-wood"-type blanks after cleaning off the existing finish, or use these cutoffs for centerbands, finials, etc.

It is an odd shaped piece of wood, so take your time and make appropriate supports to secure the wood so you can cut it safely without the wood rolling or moving during sawing.

Great piece of advice! Every time I have been hurt it's because I didn't take the time to do the proper prep, in or out of the shop!

The first cut is the hardest and your still going to second guess yourself but it would be hard to screw up that piece. There comes a time when ya just have to go for it. If you dont see burls this big in your shop often ya might want to rethink a big single piece and save the smaller burls for pens. I get lots of burl wood from a few inches across to several feet across, there have been a few that just cried out to be vessels......you have one that I would put in that catigory.

Last edited:

djz9

Ok, so now to cut or not. I never really get full burls, just happend on this one and won the bid on it. It is not in my system to waste unique wood on bowls, or other turnings. I try to use every bit, ends or unevens I try to use as fan pulls. Cut offs I save to cast. So it is hard to think of so much of it as turnings on the floor. I will let it sit for awhile and see if it talks to me.
Thanks
Dave

titan2

Ok, so now to cut or not. I never really get full burls, just happend on this one and won the bid on it. It is not in my system to waste unique wood on bowls, or other turnings. I try to use every bit, ends or unevens I try to use as fan pulls. Cut offs I save to cast. So it is hard to think of so much of it as turnings on the floor. I will let it sit for awhile and see if it talks to me.
Thanks
Dave

You wouldn't be wasting the shavings.....just pick them up and cast them for some unique pen blanks....

Barney

djz9

Well, today I got the nerve up and cut into it. My nose is clear, it is camphor. Big time. I have to let it sit for a couple of days to let the air get to it to see the colors, so I will post some pictures in a couple of days.

Top Bottom