Burl is a 4-letter word!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Czarcastic

This was by far, the most difficult piece of wood I have ever turned.
It is lemonwood root burl.
Parts of it are so soft you can dig into it with your fingernail, and some parts are so hard its like cutting stone!
But the grain is beatiful. Not sure if you can see it all in the photos, but there are birdseyes, and all sorts of wild swirl patterns, in addition to several different hues.

5-1/2" tall, by about 2-3/4" diameter at the widest part. Hollowed to about 1/4" wall thickness - some parts are about 3/8" for obvious reasons.
Finish is several coats of sprayed lacquer.

As always, comments and constuctive critique are welcome.

Lemonwood_Root_burl_vase_1.jpg

Lemonwood_Root_burl_vase_2.jpg

Lemonwood_Root_burl_vase_4.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Thats a nice little form. Very well balanced, specially considering how rough it is to begin with. If I was to critique anything about it, it would be the transition near the base where you reduced the diameter at a tighter angle. It draws my eye there for some reason but only on the last pic so it could just be that the wood being slightly darker there makes it appear to be more abrupt than it really is. I'll have to stare at it for awhile.
Good job.

I really like working with inclusions and voids, except with voids you gotta sand the inside too.[;)]

JimGo

Criticism? I'm still in awe! Though, I will say that Kevin had a good point about the foot. But that's relatively minor.

woodwish

Should've sanded some more, it's full of holes! Seriously it is a beautiful job. I have turned a few burls but never one that full of voids. Kind of reminds me of turning a hand grenade or something, a little tough on the nerves unless you have plenty of patience. I know the photos hardly do it justice but the beauty is obvious. When turning like that works it is addictive, and frustrating when it doesn't. You should be very proud!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom