bullit cartridge pen advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparhawk

I have just made my first cartridge pen and was wondering if any of you put a finish such as poly or lacquer on the brass cartridge? Wondering if it would make the brass stay shiny.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Advice #1: Bullet is spelled: b-u-l-l-e-t

Advice #2: We aren't making bullet pens. We are making cartridge pens.

Advice #3: yes, helps as long as the finish does not wear off. Clear powdercoating is best, spray auto clear coat is very good.

sparhawk

Thanks Frank. Sorry about the spelling. is the difference in the bullet pen and the cartridge pen whether the crtridge and lead make up the intire pen or if the cartridge is only half the pen.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by sparhawk
<br />Thanks Frank. Sorry about the spelling. is the difference in the bullet pen and the cartridge pen whether the crtridge and lead make up the intire pen or if the cartridge is only half the pen.

Actually, only a few guys make the bullet/cartridge pens. The bullet is kinda hard to drill accurately and even harder to seat properly. Some do but most of the references here to 'bullet' pens really means made with a cartridge only.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I PC mine. Tried a spray lacquer but it wore off quickly. Quite often you can get the PC gun from HF for under $40, and a can of clear for about $10. Does a lot of cartridges.

RollTide

Hugo,
Did you get a cartridge without the primer installed? I got some spent 308s from Ralph but it was hard to center drill them out because the firing pin was not dead center. He's supposed to bring me some new empties without the primer. That should make it easier to drill out.

RONB

Passed Away Jan 17, 2011
In Memoriam
I use a 30-06 full metal jacket boat tail bullet on mine. I solved the drilling of the lead problem by melting the led out and leaving the copper jacket.I drill the back side with a 3/32" for the refill and then the 7MM for the tube to set inside about 1/16" I use epoxy glue to hold the tube in place.I also have purchased longer tubes and cut them to fit the bullets and the cartridges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom