Bullet pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dudley Young

These should to keep me busy for long time. Got copper bullets comming.

Attachments

• DSC_0316.jpg
    DSC_0316.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 234
  • DSC_0318.jpg
    DSC_0318.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chris Bar

Did you order boattail or ball type? Have these left from years back when reloading, but have not made the first bullet pen yet, although there are a few guys who are at the top of the list when I do.

Attachments

• Sierra Matchking 197gr.jpg
    Sierra Matchking 197gr.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 192

Sylvanite

It's probably too late for this advice, but I'd recommend a Jacketed Hollow-Point Boat-Tail (JHPBT or BTHP) without cannelure instead of a Plated Soft-Point with Cannelure (PSPCL). Jacketed bullets typically have a thicker copper jacket than copper plated bullets and will yield a stronger tip. A soft-point bullet has exposed lead that must be removed and may leave a hole that is larger than you want. A small hollow-point gives your drill bit a natural center to follow. A boat-tail (the bullet base tapers) bullet seated deep enough will give the tube something to center against, helping to keep it concentric. A cannelure (the depressed or ridged ring around the bullet) doesn't look quite right if the bullet is seated too far out, which many people do. If it's right at the case mouth, then that's ok.

Regards,
Eric

KD5NRH

So, any tips on anchoring the bullets into the hulls? I'm using .308 with 165gr Barnes solid copper bullets. I don't like the four divots the Lee Factory Crimp die leaves, but I'd like to have some crimp and/or JB Weld there to make sure the bullet won't move if it gets bumped. Is there something more like a roll crimp die for .308?

leestoresund

JOE
What you said is why I buy my bullets from someone else.
In my case, I recognize my limitations.
But now that I think about it I have a good friend who reloads.
Hmmm.
Lee

Sylvanite

So, any tips on anchoring the bullets into the hulls? ... Is there something more like a roll crimp die for .308?

If you size the cases before seating, neck tension alone should be enough to hold the bullets in place. If you really want a roll crimp, most standard seating dies will do that. Just screw the die down a bit more. For a consistent crimp, trimming the brass usually necessary.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom