Built a Thien separator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Two weeks ago I had posted that it was time for me to do something about my dust collecting system. I do mostly acrylics and after doing two-three pens the strings would clog up the impeller on the dust collector. So the system became useless, by the time I got around to sanding. I just got tired of really not using it for it's intended purpose...keeping the shop as dust free and ribbon free (acrylic,Lucite,etc. ribbons) as possible.
So the last few days was spent making a Thien separator, can't belive how well it works with out the Wynn filter that I ordered today so it should even be better. Cost in material was around $60 including a new trash can.

DSCN0640.jpg

DSCN0645.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

trash can is the best way to go...mine (similar) made a huge difference. I used a plastic can and the lid that came with it...just cut my holes right in it and duct taped it!

Russianwolf

Looks good.

Couple questions for you.

1) I think you mentioned in the other thread that your DC it outside your shop space. It's sucking the Air out of your shop, but how is the air coming back in? Do you have a return from that space back into the shop?

2)Why didn't you put the separator near the DC?

I bought one off Amazon that fits a standard trash can, has a nice seal to the point that when the DC is on, if you lift the lid you lift the entire can. There is major suction going on in those systems.

ctubbs

Good looking mod, Roy. I have been using mine for about a year now and still have not filled the bag under the Wynn filter. they work very well. Use it in good health, I am proud for you and wish everyone would get something at least as good for them selves.
Charles

alphageek

Former Moderator
Can you share a picture of the guts (ie just under the lid)? I've seen some on web sites - curious if you did anything different?

OKLAHOMAN

Here are the answers:biggrin:
Looks good.

1) I think you mentioned in the other thread that your DC it outside your shop space. It's sucking the Air out of your shop, but how is the air coming back in? Do you have a return from that space back into the shop?
No need to aqs during spring and fall always leave the door open:biggrin: and in the winter with butane heat the door is cracked and being a metal building is not air tight.
It's plumbed into our lawn equipment building and wanted it close enough to monitor. Thinking of putting a clear plex insert about 2/3 the way up on the can to see when it gets to the point needing dumped, also that's dead space

I bought one off Amazon that fits a standard trash can, has a nice seal to the point that when the DC is on, if you lift the lid you lift the entire can. There is major suction going on in those systems.
With the silicone I get the same

Can you share a picture of the guts (ie just under the lid)? I've seen some on web sites - curious if you did anything different?
Pictures just for you:wink:

DSCN0648.jpg

DSCN0650.jpg

Last edited:

Russianwolf

If you don't need the air to return (you do only if you have good conditioned air, which you don't) then id skip th filter all together and set up a drop shaft for the last bit of dust. Even the cartridhe filters bog the suction down some, remove it and the only resistance remaining is from the ductwork itself. More airflow.

That's my plan until I get AC in the shop.

Woodlvr

First of all: I am in no way questioning any of your work-just trying to be clear so that I can move my DC outside and I am glad that I can use the excuse that I am blonde because I am confused. What you have marked as outlet on the garbage can is actually the suction from the dust collector, right? I am curious because if a chunk of wood comes in wouldn't it be held up on the inside piece of wood and go to the suction and into the impeller? I may listening to many peoples warning about chunks and damaging impellers. Now Jet came out with their version of a Vortex this is getting interesting. I looked inside the Jet vortex dc today and all they did was to add a chinese looking hat above the collector bag. Very nice looking setup Roy. Wasn't there a tutorial somewhere about your particular setup? I need to add the inside piece of wood because mine does not do all that well. Thanks.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Mike, yes that is the suction and the design of the lower piece is such as to create a vortex so the smaller particles like dust would fall into the can via the opening., larger pieces drop threw because of their weight. A piece that is large enough to not fit into the opening is highly unlikely ever to get that far and if it did and the suction was strong enough to get it all the way to the impeller there's a wire mesh guard in front to protect it (that's where all my ribbons of acrylic would clog the suction.) Hope this answers your questions
OOPS, forgot here are the plans I used:http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?topic=137.0

Last edited:

Woodlvr

Thanks Roy. That is as clear as mud. :wink: No that makes sense. I have cut up some mdf and had choking fits afterwards, and I had a mask on, well a sorry excuse for a mask. I see a now one coming monday. My Jet DC 1100 is remote controlled so I need to see if I can by pass that somehow and put my dc back out in my little wood shed. Thanks again.

pennovice

I have a question regarding the actual DC you are using.

I have a "Portable" Harbor Freight that currently has the bag on top. I am trying to find a wynn filter kit that will fit and wonder if making the Thien seperator will improve my dc over all.

Your thoughts please.
thanks

Dennis

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Looks good.

Mike, Amazon has a couple. Which one did you get?

Why do you need that plywood part at all. I have been thinking about this also but though I would be able to just have the inlet well below the outlet? I am not too concerned if the dust makes it to the dust collector? I never gave much thought to the inside other than keeping the inlet and outlet away from each other?

Top Bottom