Buffing ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I use a three wheel buffer, Tripoli on the first, White Diamond on the second and I don't use the third wheel, it just spins around like a fifth wheel. I know it is for Carnauba wax, I have a bar and I've tried it a few times. After the White Diamond an acrylic turning looks great; no scratches and shiny. Then I put it on the wax wheel and it dulls. I end up going back to the White Diamond to get the wax off. What is the trick? How do I wax on the wheel?

BTW, why do we put a coat of wax on acrylics to begin with? They look pretty good after the White Diamond, but I usually either give them a coat of Renaissance or put them back on the lathe for some Nova.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I use a three wheel buffer (well, so do I!!!), Tripoli on the first, White Diamond on the second and I don't use the third wheel, it just spins around like a fifth wheel (VERY familiar!!). I know it is for Carnauba wax, I have a bar and I've tried it a few times. After the White Diamond an acrylic turning looks great; no scratches and shiny. Then I put it on the wax wheel and it dulls. I end up going back to the White Diamond to get the wax off. What is the trick(ignore the WAX wheel!!)? How do I wax on the wheel? (not HOW, WHY???)

BTW, why do we put a coat of wax on acrylics to begin with? They look pretty good after the White Diamond, but I usually either give them a coat of Renaissance or put them back on the lathe for some Nova.

WE don't. Acrylic doesn't need wax, WE think!!!:laugh::laugh:

Chasper

No wax, I can do that.

In a related matter I hereby make claim to the IAP distance record for the top half of a cigar pen to travel after slipping out of my hands while buffing. The acrylic turning traveled 44 feet, 6 inches across my driveway in about 4 bounces before hitting the bumper of my pickup. No damage to the truck, but the turning had a few small nicks that I repaired. That just proves how tough a Dodge Ram is doesn't it?

I can't say that I've done an exhaustive search for buffer fling distances among past posts, so if anyone has a story about a greater distance in the cigar division. . . .claim away. (Bottle stopper are in a separate division, they really go a long way.)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe that you will be disqualified, as any OUTDOOR flinging is, by it's very nature "wind aided". And we all know there is NO ROOM for extraneous WIND on the IAP!!!

DozerMite

Banned
That's nothing... when I first started buffing, a long time ago, I was doing a cover plate off a throttlebody and got a catch. It went through the 1/2" drywall and was sticking outside the siding.
A guy was doing a final polish on a sax when he got a catch and it bounced around the ceiling and concrete walls a few times. It seemed to play a different tune after that.:biggrin:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
James,

Was that INDOORS???? With walls, it sounds like it!!!

(Looks like a "run for the record", but we'll have to consider "non-pen flying objects" categories)

DozerMite

Banned
The cover was in my garage and the sax was at work.

When buffing, you learn real quick how to keep from getting a catch.
If the flying parts don't persuade you, the numb, purple, swollen fingers might convince you to change your technique.:crying::wink:

Chasper

I believe that you will be disqualified, as any OUTDOOR flinging is, by it's very nature "wind aided". And we all know there is NO ROOM for extraneous WIND on the IAP!!!

Don't we have an outdoor division? A ground ball cannot be wind aided, it bounced at least four times. "Extraneous wind," isn't that redundant, again?

Daniel

Just to clarify the rules. Does it have to be a genuine accidental launch or can it be a mathematically calculated attempt. If I can go for it I'm using a 50 Cal Bullet. Course I don't have a buffer yet so can I substitute my bench grinder.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
official ruling required, where is that "activities guy"??

Just to clarify the rules. Does it have to be a genuine accidental launch or can it be a mathematically calculated attempt. If I can go for it I'm using a 50 Cal Bullet. Course I don't have a buffer yet so can I substitute my bench grinder.

Have to appeal to the mangler in charge!! Cav diappeared again?????

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
So about this contest, oh contest guy?????

(The rest of you shoulda been here to see the OLD Cav---Spillchecking his little heart out----citing literary references so obscure, Dennis Miller was running to find the source. He was SOMETHING that OLD Cav. But, alas he ha smellowed. )

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Just to clarify the rules. Does it have to be a genuine accidental launch or can it be a mathematically calculated attempt. If I can go for it I'm using a 50 Cal Bullet.

It would have to be "once fired" otherwise you'd have an unfair advantage

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That DozerMite guy scares me. Sounds like he really has experience here.

We'll watch him get devoured in the contest "fine print", IF the OLD Cav is really back!!!

Top Bottom