Buffing Techniques?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

parawood

:question:

Would someone be able to post a "how - to" to use a buffer to finish pen blanks? I am currently using the mm approach but would like to learn how to buff.

I have a HF buffer (3450 rpm) with 10" cotton and flannel wheels. The few times I have tried it, it has dug into the surface and ruined the blank.:confused:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl

ldb2000

If your digging in to the finish you are pressing too hard against the buff and/or holding it there too long . Buffing pen blanks is not like buffing metal (unless you are making a metal pen) You should hold the blank at a 45 degree angle to the wheel and press lightly while rotating the blank , let the compound do the work . I usually take 1 pass in one direction then reverse the blank and take another pass then do a final pass lengthwise . Don't let the blank stay in one position too long and don't press too hard , you don't want to distort the wheel too much , it's the tips of the fibers with the compound that do cutting .
Oh and keep your buffs clean . I use separate buffs for tripp and white diamond and separate buffs for different materials (Metals , Acrylics/CA finishes and Tru-Stone) . I use 1/2" arbors in my drill press and each wheel has it's own arbor , makes changing wheels as easy as changing a drill bit . Use a buff rake on a regular basis .

Last edited:

crispy

Hi well hears my two cents worth (thats with inflation haha) when i did acrylic blanks i would sand with up to 1200 wet and dry then buff the tubes with brasso ,they would come up like glass ,timber was a different story could never get a real good hard gloss and i tried numerous types of polish the retailers could do it with ease but i had a hell of a time ,made a nice antler pen one of the last i made for the bloke who gave me the horn he was rapped hmmm i still got some of that here somewhere !
crispy

Top Bottom