Bud vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Art Fuldodger

Art Fuldodger

Here is the bud vase, with the broken tube... cocobolo with carnauba. No time to take a good picture tonight, too much going on. :frown:

full.jpg

rimshot.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Art Fuldodger

Picture looks great, I wish I could get those results, vase looks great as well

The vase is just sitting on my banister, with my hotshoe flash pointed at a wall behind me. You can do it, too. :wink:

The full picture didn't really capture the glassiness of the carnauba. I love that stuff. Thanks for the kind words!

Last edited:

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
Art, that is beautifull grain and very nice shape. I've been wanting to make one of these for a long time. Did you bore and hollow out the center hole for the tube or just drill it. What cause the glass tube to break? Very nice work. Now I want to make one for a Spring flower or two.
Pat
Lexington, SC

Art Fuldodger

Why, thank you! I took a 2.5"x2.5"x12" piece of cocobolo, mounted it between centers for roughing, turned a tenon, then mounted it in my Nova chuck.

I originally intended to drill the hole with a Forstner bit, but the bit wasn't long enough, and my extension wouldn't fit in a 3/4" hole. So, I used a spade bit.

Then I turned the piece and parted off, and repeated on what was left. For the second, I didn't want to lose the 1/2" or so from the point on the spade bit, so I bought a 3/4" Silver and Deming bit, and backed the tailstock off often to clear the shavings for the last of the boring, as the flute wasn't very long. Then I turned and parted again. Had I used my brain, I probably would have bought one of the 3/4" MT2 drill bits from CSUSA, as they're long enough to go the full depth without obscuring the bottom of the flute.

The tube breaking... an embarassing story. I used the air hose to blow it off before taking it in the house. I put my finger over the tube to protect it, but I took my finger off just a split-second before I shut the blowgun off. The tube shot up, bounced off of my leg, off of the lathe leg, off of the contrete, and on the LAST bounce, broke. Grr...

Both were sanded to 1200 grit, then burnished, waxed, and buffed. Boy, does that cocobolo get smooth... and the weight of the wood gives the vase a very substantial feeling in your hand. I like it. Here's the second vase that I turned:

vase2.jpg

Last edited:

Art Fuldodger

I like them both and believe you did the Cocobolo proud. What are the finished dimensions and approximate weights? :biggrin:

The first would have been about 2.25" x 6", the second was about 2.4" x 5.25". I don't know on the weights - they were both given away as gifts, I was on a tight schedule. I'm no good at estimating weights, either. :mad: The second, with much thicker walls, was substantially heavier than the first.

When I roughed the piece, I took it *almost* to round, leaving just a little (some flats of about 3/8" width) in case my chucking wasn't very concentric. after I turned the second one and got ready to sand, I stopped the lathe and noticed little 3/16" flats on all four sides, at the largest diameter. I had to turn it back on and carve it down a little more to get it fully round.

Last edited:

VisExp

The tube breaking... an embarassing story. I used the air hose to blow it off before taking it in the house. I put my finger over the tube to protect it, but I took my finger off just a split-second before I shut the blowgun off. The tube shot up, bounced off of my leg, off of the lathe leg, off of the contrete, and on the LAST bounce, broke. Grr...

That sounds like the sort of thing that I would do! :biggrin:

The vases look great. I especially like the profile of the first one.

Top Bottom