Bud vase with glass insert

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TellicoTurning

I like to work with glass in some of my turnings... either wine glasses or vases with glass inserts.... we went by the local goodwill type store and I got this glass bud vase that was in a wire frame... I threw the frame away, but wanted to use the glass... it has a long tube about 8 inches long x 1 inch diameter then flares to almost 3 inches at the top. I made the base from a piece of old cedar that has been laying around for the last 4 years... it's part of some deadfalls that were out back when I bought the place... appreciate comments... pro or con..

The vase is 10 inches over all..including the glass portion... the wood portion is about 8 or 9 inches high. Finished with just some Howard's Orange oil... was thinking it was a beeswax finish until I got it on and smelled the orange...oh well... maybe the cedar will absorb and you'll be able to smell the cedar... people will grab the cedar pieces and smell them... they love the smell of cedar.

Attachments

• 42-833.JPG
    42-833.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 42-833-2.JPG
    42-833-2.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 42-833-3.JPG
    42-833-3.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 106
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Hi Chuck, they look nice as is all your stuff. Don`t know if i like that much glass showing, somehow i think it should be just a tinge showing. But thats just me. Carl

mickr

It is so hard from pictures to get "real proportions" they make stuff look out of whack...if pictures correct : the wood needs to be taller to offset the width...yes, people do love cedar and it is a bear to find a finish that appeals...the thing I hate about cedar is it darkens quickly and loses it's light / dark and becomes an odd brown

Lupe,
In this one, the insert sits down in the turning.. it can be taken out to clean or whatever then put back into the wood. For better proprotion, I should have taken a picture of the glass outside the wood... maybe I'll do that later this weekend...

Top Bottom