buckeye burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steamshovel

I bought some buckeye burl and made my first pen and it turned out great. First person I showed it to asked what kind of wood it is, well I don't know so that's where it stands right now. I didn't even want to guess.

Thanks, Preston

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
You guys are sooooo bad! The buckeye is a wonderful tree. Excellent shape. Super shade in the summer. Beautiful flowers in the late spring. AND it really IS the state tree of the great state of Ohio (in addition to being the mascot of the Ohio State University).

But I find the wood of the tree rather boring for the most part.

Krudwig

Ok, so there are no buckeye tree that I know of in this part of Arkansas. I have seen what is called a buckeye but not even sure it came from a buck eye tree. So somebody please educate me, are there buckeye trees in south Arkansas ? Does a buckeye come from a buckeye tree?

low_48

Ok, so there are no buckeye tree that I know of in this part of Arkansas. I have seen what is called a buckeye but not even sure it came from a buck eye tree. So somebody please educate me, are there buckeye trees in south Arkansas ? Does a buckeye come from a buckeye tree?

Let wikipedia educate you.
Aesculus glabra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Aesculus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This one says there are 13-19 species.
You have Ohio and Red buckeye in Ar

Last edited:

rblakemore

More Buckeyes

In Texas, there is also Mexican Buckeye and Western Buckeye. The Mexican Buckeye is also an Aesculus like the Ohio Buckeye; the Western Buckeye is actually a Soapberry, sapindus. I have never seen a Mexican, Ohio, or Western Buckeye large enough to have any burl.

JohnU

From my understanding most of the buckeye burl we see and use come from the root ball of the tree and not a visible burl on the tree.

Krudwig

Ok, so we have buckeyes in Arkansas. It must not be very big or not very common cause as a kid my dad always cut wood every weekend seem like and I heard him identify all types of woods and never recall hearing of a buckeye tree, but I remember seeing a buckeye and I always thought it was some type of acorn that was deformed. So I learned something about a buckeye and will have to see if I can actually find and identify one in the wild,or even in somebodies yard.

WELL!

Yes, there is a buckeye. It is the seed from the tree. It grows in a thorned husk but is easily shed. It gets its name from its appearance - somewhat like the eye of a deer (a buck's eye). There are a couple (2) types. One (also called the "horse chestnut") will shrivel when it dries. The "true" buckeye will not shrivel.

Not sure if it grows in Ark. Its original range included NW Ark but its habitat is said to be shrinking due to global warming.

Top Bottom