Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron in Drums PA

Bubinga Box with Maple Burl and Ebony inlay. About 4" tall

bubingaboxinlaied-med.jpg

bubingaboxinlayopen-med.jpg

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Excellent work Ron. Awesome job all the way around. The inlay work turned out fantastic.

Thank you for sharing it with us.

JohnU

Thats Outstanding! great shape, wood selection and combination, and a great finish. Ive never turned anything but pens, but seeing this makes me think about buying a few more accessories to expand my turning abilities. Thank you for sharing!

Originally posted by JohnU

seeing this makes me think about buying a few more accessories to expand my turning abilities. Thank you for sharing!

Now that is a nice compliment (not to say the others weren't great). It's always good to expand your skills.

There is a good chance you might already have what you need to get started. But that shouldn't stop you from buying more accessories. :)

For a straight sided box, all you need is a skew and a gouge. A scroll chuck makes life easier, but not necessary.

Dario

Ron,

I fine example of your talent. That inlay work is amazing!

Is the Ebony a solid/single piece? If it is...I know you put a lot more work on this than others may appreciate.

Great job!

Originally posted by Dario

Is the Ebony a solid/single piece?

Yes, it is a solid piece of ebony. I have some ebony that measures 3"x3"x18" that I slice off a 1/8" piece like one would slice baloney. I do the same with the burl.

I mount these slices on a wooden face plate using double stick tape and use a parting tool to cut the ring. I just have to be careful of my dimensions, otherwise this is probably the easiest way of making the inlays.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Guys and gals I have seen Ron's inlaid box work in person, and he makes some awesome boxes.

Ron, if I get over to Drums again, I'll buy a whole one of those pizzas for a box lesson!! :D:D:D

Thanks again everyone, I'm really glad you like this one.

What Cav neglected to mention are all the screw-ups laying around in my shop.
(sound like a deal to me William :))

alxe24

Awesome looking piece. The finish look great as well. I like the whole thing the color combo shape bla bla bla
Congrats

Rmartin

It's incredible. I'm mesmerized by it's beauty. I'm having difficulty getting my head around how the cut was made separating the lid and base. Also, why is it called a "box"? I don't think of boxes as being round.

Originally posted by Rmartin

It's incredible. I'm mesmerized by it's beauty. I'm having difficulty getting my head around how the cut was made separating the lid and base. Also, why is it called a "box"? I don't think of boxes as being round.

Thanks Richard.

I've always wondered why it was called a box also, historically that's what they have been called. One time, 100 years ago, these forms where mostly made from boxwood. Maybe that has something to do with it. To me it looks like a jar.

I separate the lid using a very thin parting tool. Then I turn the tenon on the base. The trick is getting the grain to align, which is more luck than skill.

Top Bottom