Brushed Ebonite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

I used some yellow rolled 220 grit sandpaper for this. It has a cloth back and says Made in Germany I think

Made from black ebonite.
Closed 6 1/8 inches – Open 5 1/2 inches – Posted 7 inches.
So yes, it's big. :)

106 – Brushed Ebonite | newton pens

img_2878.jpg

img_2890.jpg

img_2891.jpg

img_2895.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Shawn - Will black start to wear off into your hand after writing with it a while? Also with that finish you may have oxidization problems early.

Now having voiced my concernes, I do like the look of the finish, very tactile looking.

watch_art

I don't see why it would. I gave it a good bath after the final sanding so it should be good. Shouldn't be any dust left to come off.

As for oxidation - (from different spots on the internet) - * almost all ebonite will oxidize to some extent due to UV, air contact, and handling - * vulcanite and other hard rubber collectibles that have been preserved in darkness have shown no discoloration after 100 years. Even pieces that have begun to oxidize can have the process slowed dramatically by proper storage from light.
* The sunlight and oxidation issue can be a setback, but if taken care of and loved, ebonite pens will last longer than any of us, keeping a great color and finish.

It also depends on the ebonite itself - the quality of it. I'm not sure this finish will cause it to oxidize any quicker. Even if it does - it still might take years and years before it happens if cared for properly.

SDB777

You just keep coming up with more and more great ideas!

What you gonna do when you have to go back to school....maybe you can bring your lathe?

Scott (bigger shop space) B

watch_art

no I'm not bringing the lathe - though some of the kids would love it. Anything to distract from class when somebody's finger gets chewed off. ;)

SDB777

Maybe you can sneak off to the woodshop and use that one?:eek:
And your up early too! Coffee pot half full by now.....probably thinking about the next great one to come off the lathe.

Let me know how those see-through...green blanks do. Waiting on the next new best pen from ya!!

Scott (stop chew fingers off) B

watch_art

We don't have a woodshop at our school. And it's not just b/c we're small either. When I was in high school (class of almost 300) we didn't have any shops either. All the kids interested in that stuff were bussed off to the local community college for that stuff. That's where our kids go.

It would be cool though.

Trying to reset my sleep clock so I can get up for school easily. Been going to bed early and actually haven't made any coffee. :) I'll wait till lunch or dinner for that.

Top Bottom