Brooks Long Clicker

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gingerwood

gingerwood

A long clicker dressed in a Brooks Mystic Winter blank from exotics.

At first I was disappointed because it really didn't turn out the way I had anticipated. I was expecting a white/blue/brown pen and got a white/red/green. But the longer I look at it, the better I'm liking it. I reverse painted it blue, but there's not a hint of it in the finished pen. I think this has got to be the first completely opaque Brooks blank that I've turned. I'm also having a very slight out-of-round issue with my long clickers. No other type of pen, just the clicker. Is it possible to have an out-of round problem caused by the bushings?

Attachments

• mystic winter2.jpg
    mystic winter2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 172
  • mystic winter1.jpg
    mystic winter1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 122

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yes, Mickie---bushings CAN be out of round--or, more properly, non concentric to the hole (the hole is slightly off center of the bushing)

Switch the bushings from one end to the other, if the problem follows one bushing--bingo!!

PenMan1

Perhaps the easiest way to check a bushing for concentricity is to use calipers.

Simply pick a spot on the bushing and put the caliper tight against the bushing and lock the caliper. Then, try to move the caliper all the way around the diameter of the bushing. If the bushing is thinner on one side than the other, or the caliper won't go all the way around the bushing, you can bet it is out of concentric.

I order several sets of bushings at the time, and perform this simple test as soon as they hit the door. You'd be surprised how many bushing get set right back, because they are off center right from the factory.

There are many other ways to check that may be more accurate than my little test, but it is simple to have a caliper right on hand when parts are checked in. IMHO, DEFECTIVE bushings account for almost as many problems as "runaway skews".

Top Bottom