Broken motor shaft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

The speed control on my lathe (Delta 46-715) was getting sticky, so I popped the belt cover off to look at it - and while I was watching the mechanism to diagnose the problem, the motor shaft snapped.

Does anybody know if it's possible to replace the motor shaft, or am I stuck buying a whole motor (at $180+).

Regards,
Eric

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Shafts are normally solid and can't be fixed. What diameter was the shaft? I'm amazed that it broke. Were you trying to pry off a pulley or something?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
YOu could check your local yellow pages and see if you can find a repair shop that does electric motors. You may find that time wise and money wise a new motor is in your future.

Sylvanite

What diameter was the shaft? I'm amazed that it broke. Were you trying to pry off a pulley or something?
The shaft is 16mm diameter, with a spiral relief cut into it. I was running the lathe, lowering the speed. The motor-side of the reeves drive apparently did not open up as it should. Instead, the motor shaft started flexing and then twisted off along the helical relief. The really annoying thing is that this appears to be a lubrication failure. Both sets of reeves pulleys were a bit stiff to operate - which a squirt of penetrating lubricant promptly fixed. I wish I had sprayed the motor shaft a bit sooner.

I guess tomorrow I'll go over the lathe for any other parts that look worn, and order them along with a new motor :(

Top Bottom