Brass --- how thick is too thick?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

I decided to try a segmented pen using brass for the first time. I thought Home Depot might carry some brass plate. Turns out they didn't, but i did notice they had brass push plates for doors. So I picked up one of those, cut some 1" squares on my band saw and went to work. After glueing up the blank, I started to turn it, but quickly started to feel that it was harder to work than it should be. I think it might be too thick at 0.052". Is this too thick to be attempting to turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

It's not too thick but it might be the wrong alloy. Brass is a combination of copper and zinc and depending on the mix it can be hard or soft. I suspect something that is going to protect the bottom of a door is going to be quite hard. Try these people: http://www.whimsie.com/brasssheetmetal.html
They sell sample pieces that will work just fine. Get one of each, 24 ga., 29 ga. and 36 ga.. Try them out, you can always order more of the ones you like. I use this stuff all the time and it works great.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Are you sure what you picked up at HD is solid brass? In my past experiency, most of the kickplates I've seen have been brass plated steel.

barrels

Timbo

Thanks for all the tips guys! It's definately brass Monty...shiny gold through and through. Now that I know that I should be able to turn this material, I'm going give my tools a good sharpening and try again. If it still doesn't seem right, I have to think that rherrell may be right about the hardness factor, and I'll seek out another source for brass. Thanks again for all the quick help:).

Oh yeah...by the way barrels, that's a very cool pen! I like it a lot.

Timbo

Ok...here's the scoop. Freshly sharpened tools made it go easier, but still not easy enough. I went to all the links you guys gave me to see what was offered. I noticed the desciptions specifically used words like "soft", and "bendable". The material I have is not very bendable at all, I do believe it's a harder alloy. So, I'll be ordering some more workable brass very soon. Dispite the difficulties, I did manage to complete my first pen using brass. Photo link below. Thanks again for all the help.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Pens&mid=4767&cid=5503#

workinforwood

One way to help to tell the difference between plated steel and brass is the price. Brass is killer on the wallet these days. Menards has brass sheets and rods, but I can't afford even the smaller sheets.

Top Bottom