Brand of chuck for new Jet 1642

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Just curious of others opinions about the best brand of chuck to get for my new wood lathe. It is a Jet 1642 with an 1 1/4" x 8 thread.....

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Take a look at Easy Chuck.

Vickmark is bullet proof, and Axminister has O'Donnell jaws which are fabulous.

There are a herd of excellent chucks like Nova, Oneway, Bulldog, Patriot, Record, etc.

How much do you want to spend?

Dan Masshardt

You should have gotten a nova chuck for your last lathe and just changed the insert. Anyway, either the g3 or supernova2 will be good for most of your turnings. If you really want to max out the bowl capacity, prob the sn2

I also had a vicmarc I like but I never see used jaws etc for it. Nova stuff is more common and better priced.

Last edited:

Dan Henry

What ever chuck you get and you want to have more than one make sure they tighten loosen the Same way . Nothing more flustring than to almost have a piece in the correct position and you move the key in the wronge direction.
Dan

bobleibo

Take a look at Easy Chuck.

Vickmark is bullet proof, and Axminister has O'Donnell jaws which are fabulous.

There are a herd of excellent chucks like Nova, Oneway, Bulldog, Patriot, Record, etc.

How much do you want to spend?

+1 on the Vicmark

I have the Jet 1442 (model below yours and I'm jealous) paired with Vicmark 120 and 150 and absolutely love them. I got them at CSUSA and they come with the threaded insert. Very smooth one handed operation. The other chucks are also good, just a personal preference for me.
No matter which one you get have a great time with that lathe!

manleymaille

Grizzly does a vikmark clone that works great on a budget and they also have all the same jaws at half of vikmark prices... I use a couple of them and have never had a problem ...

Top Bottom