brad points

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

has anyone ever ground down a brad point to sharpen it on a drill doctor? if so, how'd you go about it? seems like all the 7mm and 10mm bits i got a while back are brad point.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Andrew, I've done it. Worked pretty well. Like Frank says rough it out on a regular grinder....go slow so as not to get it too hot. Once your shape is close switch to the DD

ahoiberg

thank you fellas. frank, i certainly don't mind the brad point, it's just that they're cheapos and have been in service for over a year and need a good sharpenin! i guess i could use a file, but i'm eager to get my DD into service. :D

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by ahoiberg

thank you fellas. frank, i certainly don't mind the brad point, it's just that they're cheapos and have been in service for over a year and need a good sharpenin! i guess i could use a file, but i'm eager to get my DD into service. :D

Whatever floats yer stick.[:p] I find my El Cheapo brads stay sharp quite a long time. For sharpening, I use a diamond flat stick and dress the inside (NEVER outside) cutting edge a few strokes and am back in business. Enjoy the DD, but don't delibrately wear out the diamond sharpening wheel. Replacement costs almost as much as a whole new unit.

Randy_

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
[br.....but don't delibrately wear out the diamond sharpening wheel. Replacement costs almost as much as a whole new unit.

????????

Last time I checked, you could buy a replacement wheel on eBay for about $25.

ahoiberg

Enjoy the DD, but don't delibrately wear out the diamond sharpening wheel. Replacement costs almost as much as a whole new unit.

heck, i've had the thing since christmas, sharpened one bit and can't even find the bit i sharpened now! :D

nwcatman

Originally posted by Randy_

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
[br.....but don't delibrately wear out the diamond sharpening wheel. Replacement costs almost as much as a whole new unit.

????????

Last time I checked, you could buy a replacement wheel on eBay for about $25.
once again, fact over fiction. thanks randy

Top Bottom