Box Elder with Acrylic trim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drgoretex

drgoretex

Been a while since I did a kit, and this was a lot of fun - I had a request for a rollerball, and was given a very nice chunk of Box Elder burl to make it out of (also known as 'Manitoba Maple', grow all over Winnipeg).

So I put it together with some green flake acrylic as trim on a Triton kit, and here's what came out:

IMG_6318.jpg

IMG_6313.jpg

IMG_6311.jpg

IMG_6310.jpg

Thanks for having a look!

Cheers,

Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Ken, I love that pen! Not only do the colors look great together but the green acrylic really frames and enhances the box elder. Great job! Doc

drgoretex

Thanks for the kind comments!

Beautiful work.. was the Triton kit a reasonable price -- where was it purchased?

paul

A bit pricey, at about $19 canadian. But good quality parts and plating, so relatively worth it. I get these locally at Lee Valley.

Cheers,

Ken

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Well Ken....if you're going to revert to a kit, this is certainly the way to do it. I agree with the others. The material is a beautiful match. Nice work.

LeeR

I really like the color combo. I've done a couple pens with spalted pecan on the upper, and black acrylic on the lower. I think I'm going to get some green blanks now that I've seen your pen.

mrburls

That's a real eye catcher, love the color combination. I've always liked dyeing B.E.B. green but this looks good together.

Thanks for showing this one, Keith "mrburls"

drgoretex

Cutoffs are great for this application. Another nice "green" accent is the Trustone malachite.

Absolutely. Another favorite I've done mant times is Amboyna with a very thin blackwood trim and then a wider trim of Tru-Stone Arizona Jade. In fact, still got one of those that I use from time to time...

Ken

Top Bottom