Box Elder Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

donahuep

I am turning a box elder - Blue Baron pen. I notice several small white spots as I am halfway through the sanding process. A couple of these have a very small "ding" feeling to them. How does one cover these up, fill them in, whatever?

Thx!

New Guy,

KR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwilki

One way is to use a bit of CA medium glue in the ding and fill the ding with some of the shavings from the pen. As soon as the CA hardens, you can turn it/sand it smooth and the repair will be invisible.

donahuep

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Originally posted by gwilki
<br />One way is to use a bit of CA medium glue in the ding and fill the ding with some of the shavings from the pen. As soon as the CA hardens, you can turn it/sand it smooth and the repair will be invisible.

donahuep

I am turning another piece of box elder - black and red dyes. As I approach the final size, there are two rather large whitish "eyes" that are appearing. Obviously places where the dyes did not reach, or could not reach. Are these event typical to Box Elder? Should I stay away from this wood?

Or perhaps, is this a common problem with "stabilized" woods? I bought these thru AZ. Sil. and they have an excellent reputation.

Still Learning,

Pat Donahue

Originally posted by gwilki
<br />One way is to use a bit of CA medium glue in the ding and fill the ding with some of the shavings from the pen. As soon as the CA hardens, you can turn it/sand it smooth and the repair will be invisible.

rhahnfl

I believe it has to do with the density of the wood and the way the grains run in various directions. Some consider it to be a very desirous trait... gives it a lot of character. Could be enhanced by stabilizing it but I suspect it is stabilized after it has been dyed. I think you won't find much better than BB at AZ supplies.

redfishsc

Part of the appeal for dyed burls (something I'm not a huge fan of myself but they are 'purdy) is the variable-dye penetration.

Trust me, let the dye and natural colors work their way out and show. Don't try to cover them up. You will be pleased.

ahoiberg

pat, those are very common on BEB. i did a blue one a while back and it looked like saturn in the galaxy or something. it's just in the figure of the wood and end up looking very cool.

thewishman

That is one of my favorite parts of turning burls, and turning in general, you never can tell what something will look like before it is turned. Those surprises make turning fun for me.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom