Box Elder Burl Vase

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bellsy

Bellsy

Well I finally had a chance to turn one of Bob Hastings fine specimens of Box Elder Burl. It's about 4 1/2" - 5" tall and 3" in diameter. Sanded to 400 grit and steel wool #0000. The finish is Circa 1850 Danish Oil (natural).

Comments and suggestions welcomed.

Dave

elder7.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bellsy

I like it. It has some interesting features, but think your picture would look better with less yellow as it would show off the wood better.

Well I have poor lighting in my home away from home shop and I don't have my good camera with me either. I will see if I can keep it until I get back home and redo the picture again with a better backdrop, lighting and camera.

The picture sure does not express the true beauty of this piece.

Dave

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
That is really nice! Is it actually hollow? Hard to tell from the angle of the shot.

If you zoom out a bit and include a piece of white paper or photo-gray-card at the edge of the shot, you can then use your photo software for "1-click" color correction, then crop in on just the object d' art. Easy and quick.

GK

Bellsy

That is really nice! Is it actually hollow? Hard to tell from the angle of the shot.

If you zoom out a bit and include a piece of white paper or photo-gray-card at the edge of the shot, you can then use your photo software for "1-click" color correction, then crop in on just the object d' art. Easy and quick.

GK

Thanks Greg,

No it's not hollow, but I did drill a 3/4" diameter hole in it for dry flowers. As it was my first Burl turning I did not want to push my limits just yet. Although I have done lots of hollow turnings, this one was not going to happen. I have lots more of these burls and I am going to attempt a hollow one the next time. I make my own hollowing tools and I am just starting to get comfortable using them.

Dave

bensoelberg

At a turning class that I attended, we made similar vases (with less spectacular wood, of course) and drilled 3/4" holes for flowers also. We then inserted a glass test tube that had a 3/4" outside diameter. That allows the vase to be used with fresh cut flowers as well as dried.

Top Bottom