Box Elder Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gofer

Gofer

I managed to get a little time at the lathe today and mounted a couple chunks of the Box Elder I harvested from the local golf course. http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66859

First I mounted one of the burls that was dry and big enough for a bowl. I am happy with the color and grain of the bowl but I left the walls to thick for my liking but my wife wanted some of the inclusions on the outside but no holes in the side. It has been a while since I turned something that far off balance but it was fun.

391316658.jpg

391316659.jpg

391316661.jpg

A little while later I mounted a piece of greener wood on the faceplate and got a light shower. It has some nice color and figure once I got past some of the softer areas. In the end My 5 year old daughter said "Daddy thats my bowl" and laid claim to it before I had a chance to finish it. I was a little too aggressive in the bottom and put a small hole in it. A small plug from an off cut and a little CA and we were done.

391316655.jpg

391316657.jpg

Any and all comments welcome,

Bruce

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gofer

The shallow bowl is 1 3/4" tall and 8" across with a lot of walnut oil applied, and the burl bowl is 4 1/2" tall and 7 1/2" across with one coat of Minwax tung oil.

Bruce

robutacion

Nicely done Bruce, you obviously wasted no time with those burls, huh...???:wink:

I didn't realise that the burls were dry (ready to turn/finish), I'm sure you mention it but I don't remember...!:redface:

Well, obviously the 2 ladies in the house know their stuff but if they keep claiming all the pieces, you may need to move to a bigger house...!!!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom