Bowl tutorial.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rcd567

Rcd567

Here is some pictures of how I made this bowl. Took a large portion of yesterday afternoon, but it was enjoyable.

First I screw the base plate onto a 2x4 then turn it down. Then glue it to the piece.
P1310042.jpg

Then some turning
P1310048.jpg

Somemore turning.
P1310043.jpg

And after sanding and thee coats of linseed oil....it's done.
P1310051.jpg

As always, thanks for your time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rcd567

If you don't mind me asking what glue did you use and how did you separate it once you were done?
I used Elmers wood glue and took a parting tool turned the 2x4 (where it meets the bowl) down to about 3/8". Then a small saw to cut the 3/8" piece freeing the bowl. I cut the little nub of wood off with a razor then use my Dewalt palm sander to take off any glue and to clean up the bottom.

Hope that helps.

rhahnfl

Nice job.... I got a new lathe for Christmas. I can't wait to get my garage/shop in order so I can take a try at a bowl. Pens are definitely fun but I want to take a crack at a big turning...

nava1uni

Thanks for the tutorial. It made it very understandable to me. I hadn't thought of using a 2X4 for a attaching a blank. I always learn so much from all of you.

JimB

I also use 2x4 for the waste block. It's cheap and works great. I actually use thick CA to glue it to the bowl blank. I place the bowl blank on the floor and glue the face plate/waste block to it. I stand on it for a minute or two. I also spray accelerator on the CA that comes out. If non comes out then I run a bead around the edge of the connection and spray with accelerator. Wait 5 or 10 minutes and I turn the bowl. For those that may say not to use CA I'll just say I was shown this way by someone who has been turning bowls (and teaching turning) for 25 years.

I use the parting tool and part it all the way off. To do this turn the spead down on the lathe and go slow at the end. Hold one hand under the bowl and part with other hand. The bowl will just fall into your hand. It will test your nerves the first time but you will find it doesn't fly anywhere. It just falls off. Just keep the RPMs down.

Top Bottom