Bowl turning- Preventing End Grain tearout

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I've not turned many bowls, 6 I think, all small (6-8").

I am having trouble with end grain tearout, not terrible but bad enough. Using round carbide tool mostly, I have read that scrapers can make tear out worse so assuming round carbide would fall closely to that category.

So what do you do to prevent end grain tearout?

I've seen a video where the turner adds a little shellac and cuts out that helps, need to try that.

I don't have a bowl gouge, not opposed to one but I use carbide mostly so I don't have to sharpen. Hard to run the grinder with toddlers asleep :biggrin:

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Shear scrape with a bowl gouge 3/8, 1/2, or 5/8 works with bigger sizes for bigger bowls.

For carbide, the Hunter cup shaped cutters riding the bevel give slick end grain cuts. #5 is the all around utility cutter, and #3 is good for smaller sizes.

NittanyLion

Using a bowl gouge, it's all in how you approach the wood with your tool. Treat the bowl gouge like a skew using the sides at an angle. There are many good videos on youtube....just search "end grain" turning.

Old Codger

I'm with Rick on this one! I use a large, heavy scraper to clear up as much tear out as I can and then use shellac wood sealer to help stand up the tear out and clean it up again prior to using a fine grade powered sandpaper disk to clean up the rest... Take your time, and more time, and finally more time... It will go away, any you'll be pleased with the final product. Always difficult to get rid of tear out...always start with scary sharp tools and then proceed w/scraper if necessary... Good luck and safe turning to you!

Top Bottom